New to forum

Holderlin99

New to forum
« on: 23 Oct 2020, 03:07 pm »
Reviving my interest in audio and planars in a particular. Just fixed my buzzing Maggie 3.6R and am, I have to say, pleased with the result. System bi amped with a new Emotiva BASX 300 on the top end, and I'm not sure how I'm liking it. Anyone using same amp?

ajzepp

Re: New to forum
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2020, 03:52 pm »
Hey there. Welcome!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2020, 09:28 pm »
Welcome!

Get a better amp.  Maggies will show you the weaknesses of your gear.  Emotiva is mid-fi at best.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2020, 09:32 pm »
No experience with Emotiva but those speakers do act like big sonic magnifying glasses.
You're going to hear exactly what you put into it.

SteveJewels

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2021, 05:47 pm »
Welcome to the Forum!

The mid\tweeter panel on my T IVa's just started buzzing. Guess I'll have to pull the sock off and have a look.

kmmd

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2021, 02:54 pm »
Welcome to AC!  I’ve been biamping my 3.6’s for years (maybe decade).  Everyone is correct that Maggie’s are brutally revealing of the equipment that you use.  I haven’t tried an Emotiva, but I’ve used Odyssey’s, Bryston’s, ModWright’s, and now Pass X250.8.  I’d say the sound quality improved in the same order for the mid/highs in my system.  The bass panel gets crossed over around 250Hz or so in my system, and I’m using subs.  Therefore the bass amp’s damping factor is important if you’re using a speaker level output to subs.  I’m using a pair of 7B SST’s for that duty.  There’s nothing like having 1.4kW at 4 ohm into each 3.6 and then using 3 REL subs for two channel listening.

Finally, the crossover is extremely important when biamping.  I used a Marchand XM44 for years and even modified that.  I replaced all the 2134 opamps with Burson Vivid V6’s, changed some caps to BlackGates and even added a Bybee. I like watching my Hakko warm up in seconds and floating Cardas solder. ;) Unfortunately, the Marchand is not even close to the Pass XVR-1 that I’m using now. 

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2021, 04:58 pm »
Welcome to the planar forum.  I imagine the Emotiva is a pretty good amp at its price point but no doubt you need more punch to drive a Maggie. 
Anyway; glad to have you aboard!