Looking for New GZ34 sugggestions.

Kw6

Looking for New GZ34 sugggestions.
« on: 12 Oct 2020, 08:04 pm »
As some you may know recently my JJ GZ34 failed so now looking for new production GZ34. Do any of you have any experience with it either the Tung Sol, Mullard reissue or Gold Lion. These are my top three. When I had JJ they had good air and dimensionality. So something similar maybe with richer tone. I read somewhere that Gold Lion has rolled off treble. Do you guys find that? Thanks!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Looking for New GZ34 sugggestions.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2020, 08:29 pm »
Gold Lions are the best of the modern production stuff, IME.

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:20 pm »
tyson, kw6

this may be true but look at this...

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/gold-lion-u77-5ar4-new-production-rectifier

kevin deal sells these tubes, but says to folks who bought his primaluna gear, don't use it HAHAHA

take the advice given to you in your other post ...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:53 pm »
tyson, kw6

this may be true but look at this...

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/gold-lion-u77-5ar4-new-production-rectifier

kevin deal sells these tubes, but says to folks who bought his primaluna gear, don't use it HAHAHA

take the advice given to you in your other post ...

I've never had a problem with them but I also don't own Primaluna gear.  I have run the Gold Lion GZ34 in a VTA ST70 and a pair of Dennis Had Inspire mono blocks without any problems. 

Of course nowadays I use NOS Mullards in everything, if you run across a pair for a good price, they are worth it.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2020, 10:34 pm »
I have been running a Gold Lion GZ34 in my Dennis Had Inspire amp for 3 years now.  Works and sounds great. 

Don't know if it is any different from the new Mullard or Tung-sol or even Sovtek GZ34.  They sure look a lot alike.  It's possible that these are higher grade tubes, would like to know.

rbbert

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2020, 11:06 pm »
Why in the world is someone looking to buy a new production GZ34?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2020, 11:45 pm »
The biggest issue I've had with new tubes is leaks, with power tubes you can see the getter disappearing and replace the tube before it does any harm but rectifiers will arc-over before that. I think all the current Russian tubes are basically the same with some variations in internals. The tubes don't seem to leak until you use them, probably the heat cycles are what does it. Seen this on lots of tubes. If the rectifier arcs over it can take out other parts in the PS, even the PT, and IME the fuse won't always catch it in time. This makes a good case for SS rectification I guess    :lol:   ...but NOS tubes seem to be more reliable and are good insurance against the damage an arc over can do.

I do use current/new Gold Lion KT-77 in my amp, they are really good tubes but I have lost two to leaks over the last several years.

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2020, 03:19 am »
You can buy the NOS 5AR4 tubes made in the Matsushita plant tooled by Mullard from either Brent or Andy for a little over $60 dollars and they are very close in sound to the Blackburn Mullards. I never dealt with Brent but Andy's are fully tested and guaranteed. The NOS GE variant are even a little cheaper.

http://vintagetubeservices.com/rectifiers/

jjss49

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2020, 04:29 am »
Why in the world is someone looking to buy a new production GZ34?

because they just don't know any better... we all learned our hard lessons, started getting smarter with this somewhere!

+1 jackd - you hit nail on head... as has been mentioned previously, japan old stock seam tops are so close to real deal uk mullards or dutch amperexes, for just a bit more $ than the new garbage... the russian tubes are all made in the saratov plant bought by new sensor, same tube, different labels new mullard, gold lion, tung sol blah blah

i love it when andy says 'if you can't pay for some real rectifiers twice a century, you need to get a new hobby - like marbles' !!! HAHAHA

JackD

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2020, 04:41 am »
I've got two UK Mullard's and one Japan and my Supratek preamp is so easy on them I suspect my one year old Grandson will be able to use them. You get what you pay for in the end.  Same thing with these Chinese 6SN7 tubes of the month.  May sound great out of the box but for how long.

Kw6

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2020, 03:56 pm »
Ok thanks for all the suggestions I will maybe look at Brent's website to see what I can find there.😊