Recommendation - amp for new setup (studio 40s)

Asmo

« on: 4 Mar 2005, 12:57 pm »
Hi all, this is my first post here, I am going to be upgrading my current setup (Paradigm monitor 5 v2, NAD c320BEE) next week, I am looking at the Paradigm Studio 40 v3s, but am unsure about my amplification.

I want to keep amp budget $600-1000 CDN.  

My room is 12x20, I listen to all types of music, usually at moderate volumes (rarely go past 8-9 o'clock on my setup I have now).

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2005, 12:35 am »
For the money you could do better buying VMPS speakers, or possibly Selah or a few other brands for what the Paradigms cost.
 As far as amplification goes it will depend on the sensitivity of the speaker you decide on. With that size of a room personally I wouldn't go with less than 200wpc unless the speakers were very efficient, say 92db or better.   Usually a "quality" 100wpc is sufficient for most people with 88db or better speakers.  I have a room which is just slightly smaller than yours and use a 350wpc amp on 90db sensitive speakers.  The amplifier has very good current capability too. That means that some 100wpc amps are more equal than others. The fact you are happy with lower volume could change a little with better speakers and the power draw goes up exponentially.
 You have come to the right place to get help. Be sure to keep your money in your pocket til you can make a more educated purchase.  Be patient. You will end up with a much better sounding system and possibly for less money than you planned on spending.  I can guarantee you that any number of people here can come up with a much better sounding system and will be happy to help.      Cheers

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2005, 02:34 am »
Hey Asmo, welcome to AC!  Where in Canada are you?

Asmo

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2005, 03:38 pm »
Hey, I live in Kitchener/Waterloo =)

I have heard good things about these forums, thanks for your input thus far, I am fairly sure I want paradigm studio 40s, I have heard them at my local dealer already, but havn't had time to audition them with different amplifications, I will before I make any purchases.  

I've heard people say NAD power amp + pre amp combos are very musical, more so than the integrated amps, maybe a used combo would fit into my price budget.

warnerwh

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2005, 05:05 pm »
Asmo:  The Paradigms sound good but you should always if possible listen to other speakers in the same price range.  Different speakers of the same quality will sound different and your preference may be that the Paradigms are your preferred speaker but do you want to find out that something else for a 100 bucks less sounds alot better to you?  Also all rooms have acoustics that have a huge impact on the sound of any speaker. If you end up buying from a dealer be sure to get a trial period.  What you hear at the dealer and what you'll hear at home are certain to be quite different. The sound differences between amplifiers is nearly impossible to tell unless you are comparing SS to tube amps.  Your room acoustics are the second most important part of your system.  Read up on acoustics as it's a major influence, more so than amps, preamps and wires combined.  Please be patient. If you can afford those Paradigms you can afford to have a very good system.  There are many companies who don't spend the advertising dollars Paradigm does and that's why you don't hear as much about them even though they can often be quite superior in sound quality per dollar.  The magazines and reviewers have to make a living and of course they want to keep the biggest advertisers happy.  That said Paradigm does a very good job and is extremely competitive.  
This beginners circle doesn't get much traffic. Let me suggest you post in Audio Central recommendations for speakers at your price limit.  You have everything to gain. Cheers

gonefishin

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2005, 06:13 pm »
Hi Asmo...welcome to AC :)

First off...I hope you don't get discouraged by any of the recommendations or suggestions made here.  One of the main goals when building a system is building one that you enjoy.  So the ultimate decision is (obviously) your to make.

But let me say that you'll get a lot of good advice here at audiocircle.  In fact, even tho I frequent many other audio sites, I believe the members here are in a better position and better qualified (as a whole) to give direction...or advice.  The reason is because many of the members here have lived with components ranging in quality and value.  They've also been exposed to many brands that aren't as well known as some other "big" players.   All the other audio websites are useful too...and many can be fun places to hang out.  But I'd tend to listen to the advice given at AC more than some other places.

Like others have said...Paradigms sound good.  But they can be bested in both quality and price by other brands.  Personally, I've always thought they were just so-so performers.  The studio 40s may be the best speaker for you.  I'd also recommend holding off on the NAD products as well.

But like warnerwh said...

You have come to the right place to get help. Be sure to keep your money in your pocket til you can make a more educated purchase. Be patient. You will end up with a much better sounding system and possibly for less money than you planned on spending. I can guarantee you that any number of people here can come up with a much better sounding system and will be happy to help. Cheers

Depending where you are in Canada.  But you may want to try some places like Sound Hounds in Victoria, B.C. Canada .  They carry Paradigm along with some other brands such as Reference 3a and AudioNote.  Plus...if you would like to take a leap of faith and order something unheard...their are some REALLY great internet companies in the audio world.  Many of which can be found here, under the Audio Manufacturers Circles.

good luck...have fun...and take your time!

dan

Asmo

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2005, 07:49 pm »
Thanks a lot, I posted a new thread in the 2 channel forums here.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=17340.msg151573#151573

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2005, 09:05 pm »
I tossed a note in over there, mentioning Marc at Soundstage - he always had a great selection of new and consignment gear there when I was up in that area around 10 years ago...

sts9fan

adverts
« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2005, 03:28 pm »
Just because a company has a good business model does not mean they make an inferior product. Paradigm is FAR from bose. Most people that are not into home audio have even heard of them. Remember people on these boards really like to have small run products for better or worse but then again they by cables with magical abilites also  :roll:

Marbles

Re: adverts
« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2005, 06:46 pm »
Quote from: sts9fan
Just because a company has a good business model does not mean they make an inferior product. Paradigm is FAR from bose. Most people that are not into home audio have even heard of them. Remember people on these boards really like to have small run products for better or worse but then again they by cables with magical abilites also  :roll:

Paradigm makes some good speakers.  The facts are that companies who sell direct to the consumer can sell the same quality for much less money because they don't have many of the costs involved with B&M sales.

In fact most products sold through stores have a mark up in the range of 5 times the parts cost.  Direct to consumer products have closer to a 50 to 100% mark up of parts cost.

Therefore, it's possible to get both better quality and less expensive products from a direct to consumer company.

In addition,  you can get answers to your questions directly from the owners of the companies.

Most all offer a 30 day money back policy so you can try them in your own system.

Direct to consumer is not for everybody, but I doubt I would ever buy speakers any other way.

In fact you might be surprised...you might be able to put together a system inexpensively that WOULD allow you to hear the difference between cables...

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2005, 06:57 pm »
wanna by a bridge cheap??? :lol:

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2005, 06:58 pm »
Just my audio equipment....

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2005, 07:19 pm »
wanna by a bridge cheap??? :lol:

Just out of curiousity, what direct to consumer audio equipment have you heard?

they by cables with magical abilites also

What are those abilities?

jcoat007

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2005, 08:20 pm »
Quote from: warnerwh
Asmo:  The Paradigms sound good but you should always if possible listen to other speakers in the same price range.  

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the price range?

Marbles

« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2005, 08:58 pm »
The MSRP for the lastest version is around $1200 USD and street prices are in the $900-1000 USD

rosconey

« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2005, 09:45 pm »
guy found a speaker he like's-granted they arent made by a card carrying AC company but so what-they are his ears not yours-

what amp did they use with the paradigms when you listened-tube or solid state ?

you might want to take a look at the karthago from odyssey if you want solid state-or the cyclops if you want a intigrated-
great sound-better service-and klaus is a pleasure to deal with-

audioslave

choices
« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2005, 11:27 pm »
I second Rosconey's opinion. I was previously running the Studio 100 v.2 with Odyssey and it sounded pretty good with it. I have since moved on to another speaker line. The Khartago is an excellent choice for amplification.
Just do your research and take your time. In the end it is all about system synergy. Good luck!

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2005, 11:48 pm »
Marbles, I do think that ICs and cables are a bit overblown on this board.  Some posts make it sound as if an IC/speaker cable will turn bose into Wilsons.  On the other hand, I did change all my ICs/cables to Bolder Cables, and I do think they have a certain smoothness that my previous ICs/speaker cables didn't have.  Unfortunately, I cannot switch back and forth between power cables, speaker cables, and most ICs, as my system is very hard to change.  I wanted to do a power cable shootout, but could not because it's freaking a bear to change anything.  If I could, I would like to compare speaker wire and the like, but my system simply doesn't allow it.

As for the poster's question, I'm thinking of buying and building an Aska amp for my second system:

http://www.printedelectronics.com/buying/buying_price.html

Unfortunately, that may be out of your price range.

ctviggen

« Reply #18 on: 4 May 2005, 11:53 pm »
Another amp I like (I use one in my second system) is Creek, and I thought they made just an amplifier, but it looks like they only make integrateds.

F-100

« Reply #19 on: 5 May 2005, 12:10 am »
Five years ago, I embarked on the same journey and bought a pair of Paradigm Studio 40  for my Harman Kardon AVI200 Integrated Amplifier. Two months later, I was looking to upgrade the receiver... and "Voila!!", I found Santa Klaus on the internet and bought my first Odyssey Stratos amp from him. Six months later, I couldn't stand the Paradigm because it was too bright for my taste and began to search for another speaker. To make a long story short, I've owned speakers from Norh, VMPS  to flavor of the month's speaker and finally settle down with Onix Ref1 speaker and Odyssey Extreme Mono.  :D  :D  ... But the journey doesn't stop here.. Actually, it will never stop until I don't have anymore money for this hobby... So my humble advise to you is to find a dealer that will let you do a home audition and let your ears make the final decision.

BTW, Rosconey's suggestion is a good one but don't take his word for it.  :lol:  :lol:

Good Luck