Newbie seeking computer advice

Tonto Yoder

« on: 4 Mar 2005, 12:34 pm »
Ok, I'm not really a total newbie, but I've had my computer a number of years and am ignorant of what is currently available. I probably knew the details of my current Cybermax computer when I bought it, but I've forgotten most everything except it's a Celeron processor@ 800 Mhz???

I'd like to just call Dell and order package #4, but I imagine there are better alternatives?? Any advice would be appreciated (other than "Build your own" [which is probably a good idea, but not for me]).

One specific question: when I bought my old computer, it was common that "$2,546 of software" was included for "free". Much of it was totally worthless but it made for good marketing. It seems now that JUST the operating system is preloaded (Dell seems to have sold its soul to Windows XP)???? I would kinda like to try a Linux system (having dabbled with a CD-based OS ---Knoppix--that ran off the CD, but never actually loaded onto the computer).

As you might expect, I'd like a good-sounding system: good sound card and good speakers (two channel is fine).  But is it best to buy the packaged sound system or just use audio gear I already have???

Thanks for any help.

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2005, 03:00 pm »
Check out www.techbargains.com

They have a nice Dell 8400 right now - about $1600 including a 24" widescreen LCD.  

If you want to do audio with it, I would add a better soundcard on your own - don't pay them extra for their 'better' card.

There's a lot of nice things going on in the Apple world right now too.
You can get an iMac G5 for about the same money.  OSX is great to work with.

Depends on which evil corporation you want to send your money too... :wink:

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2005, 03:07 pm »
TY,
I've bought some desktop PC's for small offices and home users over the past year or so and I've found Dell and HP to be quite reliable and (somewhat) helpful over the phone for the end users.

I'd prefer to buy an HP at a Best Buy than a Dell over the web.  It's quicker and easier to me.  I like the machines, the support, etc.  

Either will likely have an empty PCI card slot so you can upgrade the soundcard.  Nothing comes with an audiophile level card that I'm aware.

Another consideration is a Mac... maybe/maybe not depending on what you need or like.  I doubt Linux would be an option here... don't know.

Yet another consideration is a laptop.  However, the only way to use a laptop for good hi-fi reproduction is to get a good digital out and go to a DAC... no playing around with new cards... Also, if you do gaming, the laptop may not be great for you.

Once you have XP installed on a PC, you can setup a dual-boot scenario to use either OS.  I found it quite difficult to install Linux (Mandrake) as a sole-OS on a PC the last time I tried.  It really preferred a dual-boot scenario.  However, it's been a long time since I tried this.

Hope this helps a little...

-C

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2005, 03:15 pm »
Do you want to play music for your main audio system or are you just looking for a computer for general use?  

The best thing to do is start with a goal.  What is it's primary purpose and then consider what other secondary uses you might have for the system.

Then ask yourself what hardware/software do I need to achieve that task.

I'm in the process of building a machine to act as a media system.   It is going to play/record DVDs & CDs for my main audio/video system.   The requirements I have for it are much different than those I have for my office PC that I use for email (too much), web browsing and general work chores.    The case looks more like audio equipment than it does a PC and it is going to be much quieter due to the application.   I'm also splurging for a big dollar studio level sound card because the audio is important to the task at hand.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2005, 03:22 pm »
What others have said, the purpose should dictate the product, not the other way around.   I am having to learn up again as I built my last system when AMD 1Ghz was SOTA and now I need to build a couple more purpose oriented computers.  

Anyone with an old MB/Proc/Mem that they don't need let me know and we'll work something out.

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2005, 03:31 pm »
Josh,

Ping me off line.  I've got a pile of computers/parts and would be glad to ship you something I'm not using.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2005, 07:34 pm »
Quote from: Kevin P
Do you want to play music for your main audio system or are you just looking for a computer for general use?  

The best thing to do is start with a goal. ...

It'll be a general use computer but I've been burning and trading CD-R's more and more, so I'd like it to sound decent but it need not be audiophile-quality.  I may well just use some stereo gear that's sitting around rather than buying computer speakers, but thought a good soundcard would be wise.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2005, 07:55 pm »
You don't need a high power machine then... get something cheap.   Buy one of the M-Audio consumer level cards.

If you have a reciever that accepts a digital input you may want to consider using it to drive a set of quality speakers rather than buying computer based units.    If you get a system with a motherboard based on the older NVIDIA nforce2 chipset you will get an excellent audio controller with digital out you can use inputed into any DD/DTS reciever.   You won't loose any sound quality in the transition and you don't need an add-on sound card in that situation.   Your sound quality will be determined solely based upon the reciever speaker combination you choose.

grub

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2005, 10:02 pm »
I guess this is a good thread to ask this question:

What are some of the audiophile quality sound cards out there, lets say, top 10 regardless of price.  I'm in the market for a good sound card and I'd like to know what to check out.
Thanks guys,
-->grub