I've been wrecked by the X-LS Encores

MattSelinger

I've been wrecked by the X-LS Encores
« on: 2 Oct 2020, 04:23 pm »
So I finished my X-LS Encores about a month ago.  I built them with the upgrades available through the web site.  I have been enjoying listening to them as they break in and bloom.  I just figured out last night I have been wrecked by these - forever.  The quality of the sound, clarity, sound field, voicing has made everything else pale in comparison.  Two nights ago I did a back and forth comparison with my KEF LS50s and the difference is so striking.  The LS50s sound flat, narrow, and mechanical by comparison.  And just a year ago I felt like the LS50s were my dream speaker that I would listen to forever (unfortunately for me that is what I told my wife and now I am selling them, whoops :duh:).  For anyone with discerning ears - I can't understate how wonderful the X-LS Encores are to listen to.  Both by themselves and with a sub (or two) to fill in the frequencies 40hz and down.

So now that I have been forever wrecked I am researching the next GR Research build I want to experience.  Open baffle and bookshelf size(ish) form factor are my desire.  I welcome recommendations from anyone willing to share.

And thank you Danny.  Thank you for being you and sharing your talents and gifts.  This experience has been a real joy for me.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: I've been wrecked by the X-LS Encores
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2020, 04:39 pm »
As for bookshelf style builds you have 3 options;

NX-Studio: OB Neo 3 tweeter & sealed woofer, more forgiving with placement/space constraints.

NX-Otica MTM: Upper-half of the NX-Otica. Full OB intended to be paired with twin dual servo sub towers.

Super Mini: Neo3 & Neo 10 planar drivers. Fastest & most transparent, can be paired with dual servo subs and optional OB woofer stands. Expensive, due to limited Neo 10 availability. Danny is working on a replacement model.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2020, 04:46 pm »
+1

For a bookshelf application the Studio Monitor would be my suggestion though it is not full open baffle. The tweeter is open baffle while the mid-woofer is sealed.

The closest thing to a bookshelf sized full open baffle is the NX-Otica MTM monitors. However, they need to be paired with the open baffle servo subs which need to be close to the monitors due to the crossover frequency to the monitors being around 100HZ. I use the dual H-Frame subs as the stands for the NX-Otica monitors. As good as the X-LS Encores are, the NX-Otica monitor sub combo is on a completely different level.

If you have enough room for four floor standing cabinets, you can step up to the full size NX-Oticas and triple servo subs.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2020, 05:36 pm »
I felt the same way the first time I heard the X-Statiks.  Welcome to the club!

Anything with the Neo3 tweeter will be better.  It’s ridiculously smooth, airy, fast, and detailed.  If room placement is an issue then I would say go for the studios and don’t forget the servo sub(s).

I have a single sealed servo sub backing up my Statiks.  It took me a while to get them synched up but once i did  :notworthy:

tom739

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2020, 05:57 pm »
I look forward to hearing the X-LS Encore. I have just started my build. Going with all upgrades, including Miflex bypass caps.
Tom

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2020, 06:08 pm »
No one believes me but an upgrade for the X-LS Encore is to remove the middle brace. It pushes the resonance in a bad point from what I can tell and reduces midband/upper bass gusto.

MattSelinger

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2020, 06:38 pm »
No one believes me but an upgrade for the X-LS Encore is to remove the middle brace. It pushes the resonance in a bad point from what I can tell and reduces midband/upper bass gusto.

Greetings Folsom,

I cut mine out myself - not from flat pack...  Are you referring to the brace from the flat pack kit or the multiple braces shown in the DIY cutout diagrams (essentially a bunch of short 45 degree angles glued at midpoint locations)?

jmc207

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2020, 02:54 am »

Jeremy,

Thanks for that info. I'll keep that in mind as I build my X-LS Encores within the next couple of months.

John

Jaytor

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2020, 03:49 am »
I've been an audiophile for 45 years and owned/experienced a LOT of different speakers - many of which were considered in their day some of the best you could get. But I've never really been fully satisfied with the sound.

Once I found out what was possible with open baffle speakers, and Danny's designs in particular, I've become totally hooked. I used to spend hours researching speaker options, reading reviews, visiting websites, etc. Now, the only thing I'm interested in (with regard to speakers), is - what has Danny come up with that's even better than what I have now?

I've now been listening to my NX-Oticas and stereo triple servo subs for about ten months and I'm totally thrilled with them. If I didn't know about the Line Forces, I'd probably be completely satisfied. But, being the audiofool that I am, I've committed to the Line Force cabinets and started gathering parts. Given how good the NX-Otica's sound, it's hard to imagine improving on them. But I trust Danny's and other's opinions that the Line Forces take it to another level. Can't wait to get them built.

david45

« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2020, 11:46 am »
Same here! I am delighted with my NX-Otica’s and matching subs but I have been gathering parts for the Line Force speakers.   :thumb:

1 spot left for the flat back at a discount I believe but not 100% sure. Check with Jay/Captainhemo if interested.

Whatever it is you go with, I don’t think you can go wrong with one of Danny’s products.

Personally the new monitors intrigue me and I will make sure to give them a try in the future!

Cheers,

David

mkrawcz

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2020, 02:47 pm »
Same here! I am delighted with my NX-Otica’s and matching subs but I have been gathering parts for the Line Force speakers.   :thumb:

1 spot left for the flat back at a discount I believe but not 100% sure. Check with Jay/Captainhemo if interested.

Whatever it is you go with, I don’t think you can go wrong with one of Danny’s products.

Personally the new monitors intrigue me and I will make sure to give them a try in the future!

Cheers,

David

Yea, as a fellow Nx-Otica owner, I am ready start down the Line Force path.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2020, 05:57 pm »
I would love to go for the Line Force but sadly they exceed my budget.  I stretched as far as could and got the Super 7 as soon as kits became available.  Good thing too as they weren’t available for very long.  With those in my main rig and X-Statiks in my living room I’m pretty much set for speakers.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2020, 06:18 pm »
So now that I have been forever wrecked I am researching the next GR Research build I want to experience.  Open baffle and bookshelf size(ish) form factor are my desire.  I welcome recommendations from anyone willing to share.

The NX-Studio is a substantial step up over the X-LS Encore.  They do need a good sub though.  Personally I'd build 2 OB subs from Danny and use them as stands for the NX-Studio, but if that's not an option (or not in the budget), then a single sealed Rythmik sub is the next best option.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2020, 07:53 pm »
The NX-Studio is a substantial step up over the X-LS Encore.  They do need a good sub though.  Personally I'd build 2 OB subs from Danny and use them as stands for the NX-Studio, but if that's not an option (or not in the budget), then a single sealed Rythmik sub is the next best option.

If you have enough room for OB subs, I’d go OB all the way and put the NX-Otica MTM monitors on them instead of the studio monitors.

mkrawcz

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2020, 07:58 pm »
If you have enough room for OB subs, I’d go OB all the way and put the NX-Otica MTM monitors on them instead of the studio monitors.

I agree. I tried the Studio Monitors on top of my OB subs and it was nowhere near as good as full open baffle. Spend a little more and get the NX-Otica MTMs.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2020, 08:06 pm »
I agree. I tried the Studio Monitors on top of my OB subs and it was nowhere near as good as full open baffle. Spend a little more and get the NX-Otica MTMs.

I second this as well. I'm going with the Studios cuz I simply don't have the space for a full OB setup, and will be pairing them with my modded Rythmik L12 subwoofer.

But perhaps in the future I'll be able to upgrade to a full OB setup.

mkrawcz

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2020, 08:41 pm »
I second this as well. I'm going with the Studios cuz I simply don't have the space for a full OB setup, and will be pairing them with my modded Rythmik L12 subwoofer.

The Studio Monitors work very well with sealed subs crossing over at about 50hz. I have mine paired with a Rel.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2020, 09:13 pm »

Yours is a perfect application for the studio monitors. 👍

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #18 on: 4 Oct 2020, 06:02 pm »
So I finished my X-LS Encores about a month ago.  I built them with the upgrades available through the web site.  I have been enjoying listening to them as they break in and bloom.  I just figured out last night I have been wrecked by these - forever.  The quality of the sound, clarity, sound field, voicing has made everything else pale in comparison.  Two nights ago I did a back and forth comparison with my KEF LS50s and the difference is so striking.  The LS50s sound flat, narrow, and mechanical by comparison.  And just a year ago I felt like the LS50s were my dream speaker that I would listen to forever (unfortunately for me that is what I told my wife and now I am selling them, whoops :duh:).  For anyone with discerning ears - I can't understate how wonderful the X-LS Encores are to listen to.  Both by themselves and with a sub (or two) to fill in the frequencies 40hz and down.

And thank you Danny.  Thank you for being you and sharing your talents and gifts.  This experience has been a real joy for me.

Yeah, I am curious where mine will end up. I don't have that much time on them yet, maybe 12 hours, but at this point. while they are impressive for the cost of building them, they aren't close to matching my Harbeth 30.2s. We'll see how that matchup fares as the Encores get more hours on them.

Early B.

« Reply #19 on: 4 Oct 2020, 07:59 pm »
Yeah, I am curious where mine will end up. I don't have that much time on them yet, maybe 12 hours, but at this point. while they are impressive for the cost of building them, they aren't close to matching my Harbeth 30.2s.

Hmmm...even the thought of comparing Harbeth speakers that list for $6,495 with a $249 kit speaks volumes.