A few questions about the BDA-3.14

WillyP

A few questions about the BDA-3.14
« on: 24 Sep 2020, 07:09 pm »
Hi Chris,

At the moment I am using a 1 TB hard disc for my music. It contains about 1,000 CDs, with approximately 15,000 songs. Both Manic Moose and Rigelian have no problems in managing these files. The handling is very swift.

Another 1,000 CDs are already ripped, but these are not tagged properly yet. Within a few weeks - or maybe months - there will be 30,000 songs on my hard disc and then it will be nearly full.

I have been advised to change the hard disc to an SSD, but I am not sure that this is a good idea. The BDA-3.14 has USB 2.0 inputs and it seems to me this will slow down the data transfer.

These are my questions.

1 How many songs can a BDA-3.14 handle without getting slow? Will 30,000 songs be too much?

2 Can I expect any advantages by replacing the hard disc for a SSD of the same size?

Many thanks in advance.

WillyP

WillyP

Re: A few questions about the BDA-3.14
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2020, 10:08 pm »
At the moment I am using a 1 TB hard disc for my music. It contains about 1,000 CDs, with approximately 15,000 songs. Both Manic Moose and Rigelian have no problems in managing these files. The handling is very swift.

Another 1,000 CDs are already ripped, but these are not tagged properly yet. Within a few weeks - or maybe months - there will be 30,000 songs on my hard disc and then it will be nearly full.

I have been advised to change the hard disc to an SSD, but I am not sure that this is a good idea. The BDA-3.14 has USB 2.0 inputs and it seems to me this will slow down the data transfer.

These are my questions.

1 How many songs can a BDA-3.14 handle without getting slow? Will 30,000 songs be too much?

2 Can I expect any advantages by replacing the hard disc for a SSD of the same size?

Many thanks in advance.

WillyP

Hi James,

Could you answer these questions?

WillyP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2020, 10:17 pm »
Hi James,

Could you answer these questions?

WillyP

Hi Willy

I have a 500GB SSD attached to my 3.14 with about 65,000 songs and so far all is well.

There is no issue using an SSD on USB2 or 3 as they are compatible. The SSD is faster at transferring the music files over a rotary drive but with music files that is a non issue.

james

WillyP

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2020, 10:22 pm »
Hi James,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

WillyP