DIY help

chadh

DIY help
« on: 3 Mar 2005, 09:03 pm »
Hi,

I hope nobody minds that I dropped in to ask a quick question.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any courses offered around Durham, NC that might help a technical cripple like me learn the basics of electronics, circuitry and soldering?  

It becomes increasingly obvious to me that I will never have the money to sample more than a tiny portion of what the audio world has to offer if I have to pay retail prices.  So, why not learn how to do-it-myself?  Obviously, the fact that I couldn't tell the difference between an amp and a volt if they walked up and hit me over the head is an impediment, but maybe a night class would help me out.

For any ideas, thanks in advance.

Chad

sheadlee

DIY help
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2005, 09:28 pm »
Chad,

Sorry, I'm not familiar with what is available around Durham, although you might want to check out your local Community College for curriculum.

Also, through the help of the internet, one can actually assemble a very nice system, at a fraction of the cost of new/retail. Places to start might be to watch this circle, the Trading Post (AC), and sites like Audiogon.com.

I certainly don't think you can go wrong by investing some time in deeping your knowledge of electronics and that ilk. However, keep in mind that (unless you have a lot of free time) some construction projects can drag on forever.

None of this may help, but good luck in venturing into this crazy 'hobby' of ours  :lol: !