new to me VPI prime scout looking for tips?

escoffee

new to me VPI prime scout looking for tips?
« on: 21 Sep 2020, 06:43 pm »
Hi all,

Recently picked up the VPI "super" prime scout second hand! this model is from upscale and includes the larger (heavier) prime platter, 10.5 JWM tonearm and vta base.  I was able to get through the setup with very little headache but I'm having some teething issues.

1: when i put the dustcover on I almost always bump the power button the motor causing it to turn on at which point i have to take the dustcover off again which is a bit of a pain compared to my outgoing thorens.

2: the Stereo squares Dustcover is a really snug fit, and almost always hits the interconnects in the back, has anyone modified this?

3: (this one has nothing to due with the dustcover!) when I turn on the motor i usually give the platter a gentle spin to get going, however the belt ALWAYS chirps.  is this an indicator that the belt is too loose, worn, or just a character of these tables? 

4: this came with the VPI dual Pivot kit.  I dont have the 1mm or 1.5mm allen key to install it, am I really missing anything here?

5: also came with the soundsmith counterweight attached to a 160g weight. I'm currently using the 140g weight on my DV20xl and things really seem to be working well. not being one to rock the boat, what could i expect with the counterweight and heavier weight?

thanks so much, new here and looking forward to expanding my knowledge.

nature boy

Re: new to me VPI prime scout looking for tips?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2020, 10:21 pm »
If no response, try the VPI forums. Folks there are very helpful.

NB