New Cartridge Ordered for Pro Ject X2

DonJoe

New Cartridge Ordered for Pro Ject X2
« on: 21 Sep 2020, 03:48 pm »
Hey All,

I have had my X2 for a couple weeks now and find the Sumiko Moonstone cartridge to be lacking dynamics and speed.  I had hoped this 300.00 cartridge that came with the X2 would have been better.

I was torn with trying a phono preamp vs. the one in my marantz integrated 2 channel system.   Instead, I decided to swing a bit big relative to my table with the Sound Smith Zephyr MKIII high output moving iron cartridge.  I should have it installed by the weekend.  I figure I can always make other upgrades but hoping this works out well.

Anyone have experience with this cartridge or other soundsmith MI cartridges? 

DonJoe

Re: New Cartridge Ordered for Pro Ject X2
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2020, 08:46 pm »
Cartridge installed and calibrated.  1 word=Awesome! 

May seem funny to spend 1500.00 on a cartridge for a 1500.00 turntable but got to demo my turntable with this combo next to some much higher end turntables at the audio shop and it now punches way above its weight.  Soundstage, Dynamics, Clarity, Speed is all there and am very happy.  The Sumiko Moonstone sounded dull and congested by comparison.

One word for those thinking about this with the Pro Ject X2, you will need the 120G counterweight as part of the upgrade.  The stock one does not have enough mass unless you like hanging the counterweight nearly off the tone arm haha.

Cheers!

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2020, 09:08 pm »
Cool, enjoy.

Grbluen

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2020, 01:50 pm »
Sweet. It's nice to hear about someone changing cartridges on a Pro-ject table and not snapping off any leads! I snapped one off on my first change.  Good job!