Phono Preamp Question

Art H

Phono Preamp Question
« on: 20 Sep 2020, 11:56 pm »
Looking for suggestions..Need a phono pre amp for VPI turntable AT32E MM cartridge MM using Yahmana HTR-7065 AV receiver
Thanks,

Art

displayname

Re: Phono Preamp Question
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2020, 03:25 pm »
Do you have a budget in mind?

galyons

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2020, 05:26 pm »
Sorry, a separate phono stage is unlikely to yield much improvement into the HTR.  Kinda like putting drag slicks on a Yugo.  IMO, get the TT out of the HT amplification chain.  Money would be better spent on a nice integrated amp and a modest phono stage. Then you can upgrade as ears and budget allow.

Cheers,
Geary

Art H

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2020, 01:55 pm »
Do you have a budget in mind?

I am just getting back to vinyl and I was hoping few hundred would be sufficient to get my feet wet. Someone suggested Parasound Zphono as decent??

Another reply scoffed at the idea of using my HTR for analog purposes, but right now I don't have another option as I am using the HRT for both the TV surround system, playing CDs and now to begin to enjoy my old record collection all through my Dalquist speakers which still sound after all these years. Someone has suggested that we get a simple sound bar for the TV and forget about "surround sound" for the TV since we really don't watch much content that requires that emphasis and just use the Dalquist through an integrated amp. Not sure how high you have to go to get good quality- $700-$1000 for something reasonably good or more?? I admit that I am not sure which direction I should go in the future, but for right now I would just like to listen to my record collection. Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

artur9

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:50 pm »
If you're just getting your feet wet than a low-cost high quality option makes sense.  I don't think spending big when you're going through a receiver is wise.

Some different options (btw, I like Schiit stuff):
A Schiit Mani (130$)
U-Turn Pluto gets good reviews (99$)
Pro-Ject Phono Box

Pricier is the Lounge LCR

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2020, 03:43 pm »
Using an outboard phono preamp will provide adjustability to match the cartridge being used. Not sure if you HTR offers that option. If you go with an outboard pre plug it in to your AUX or other unused input not the phono in if the HTR has one. I looked but could not find that info for your receiver.

The Yamaha should sound decent. Only you can decide if spending more is worth it..

Cheers,
Bob2

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2020, 06:34 pm »
  Check out Vista . The over achiever in every way. Period.

charles

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2020, 10:24 pm »

charles

+1    :thumb:

And Boris is a great guy and very easy to work with.

stonedeaf

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2020, 02:08 am »
So far (OK -sorta gave up on the idea a couple of decades back-experience is obsolete) - have yet to be impressed with stereo phono thru a HTR. Still -ain't gonna hurt to try. Reasonably ?? inexpensive phono preamps I really like : Hagerman Bugle and Parks Audio Puffin - the Puffin is VERY flexible and can be ordered with digi output(s) - either SPDIF RCA or optical Toslink.

Plato’s Mojo

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2020, 04:23 am »
+1 for the Schiit mani.

jjss49

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2020, 05:03 am »
lehmann black cubes are remarkably good for the $

artur9

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2020, 12:01 pm »
What words do I use on google to find out more about this "Vista"?

bacobits1

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2020, 01:47 pm »

sunnydaze

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2020, 07:12 pm »
What words do I use on google to find out more about this "Vista"?

"vista audio phono stage"

sunnydaze

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2020, 07:15 pm »
Parks Audio     :thumb:

For awhile I had the earlier version called the Budgie.  It was excellent for the $$.  I read the current Puffin version is even better, but no direct experience.