Still searching for the magic!!

Gord

Still searching for the magic!!
« on: 17 Sep 2020, 06:25 pm »
Hi Everyone

Looking for suggestions on what is the most logical NEXT move toward that elusive sound that I crave for. ( On a Budget )..LOL
I am completely happy with the theater set up but still looking for the magic when listening to 2 channel and multichannel music.
My current main system is a full Atmos 11.2 Channel set up but my focus is 2 channel audio.
The only media I listen to is CD , SACD. I will likely go to streaming down the road but love spinning that little silver disk.
To my ear the system is still harsh in the high end, Bright.
Some recordings that have been correctly engineered sound stunning and bring a big smile but a lot of my CD's sound like microwaved crap.
I listen to all types of music.
Not sure where to go from here., Speakers ? Interconnects?
I really want to hear what the community thinks.
It has been suggested that I should get some tubes in the mix.
Really trying to keep it solid state.
Also as you can tell I like to keep it as Canadian as possible but it's all about the sound.

Bryston 4B SST2 - Mains
Anthem MCA 525 - Centre, surrounds and Rears
Anthem PVA 4 - Height Channels
Anthem AVM 60 -Processor
Bryston BP17 Cubed
Bryston BDA3
Oppo UDP 205

Paradigm Prestige 95F, 55C, 25S, 15B
2 - JL Audio Esub e212
Full System Audioquest Red River Balanced Interconnects
Kimber Speaker cables.
100" Screen Innovations Black Diamond
Epson 5050 4K projector.

Blackmore

Re: Still searching for the magic!!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2020, 08:00 pm »
Welcome to Audiocircle

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2020, 08:26 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Gord   :thumb:

GeneS

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2020, 12:01 am »
Welcome!!
Do you use the DAC in the OPPO or the Anthem?
Also, could you tell us about the room this is in? That may be more the issue. You have good gear.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2020, 01:41 am »
To my ear the system is still harsh in the high end, Bright.
Some recordings that have been correctly engineered sound stunning and bring a big smile but a lot of my CD's sound like microwaved crap.

You have great gear but it sounds like the synergy is off. I don't care for the Paradigm sound and find it overly bright. Stereophile has a review of the 95F by Thomas J. Norton.

"The Paradigm's top end may be controversial for some. As I said earlier, I don't mind a prominent treble, as long as it doesn't stick out like the proverbial sore thumb."

"Possibly because of this, the 95F wasn't particularly forgiving of overbright source material, at least in my room. But with well-recorded music, it sparkled with life."

"With some recordings, particularly of bright, hard percussion at high levels, the 95Fs produced a bit too much top-end edge. Percussion, when heard from close up—where it's often miked in non-classical recording—didn't sound pretty."

I have the Anthem AVM 60 and a Anthem PVA-2 amp and neither are bright. I use the Anthem amp with my JBL L100 speakers which can be bright and in your face, it's a great pairing. But I am not recommending Anthem amps, they are a good mid-priced amp but they don't have any magic. The Van Alstine Vision SET 400 amp has magic.

But I'm not recommending new amps either, I think it is time for new speakers. Is Pontiac, Michigan close enough to Canada? Take a look at Salk Sound then give Jim a call, excellent advise with no hard sell. He is one of the good guys.
https://www.salksound.com/home.php

While thinking about equipment changes you can tame the over-brightness by making a new CD profile in ARC Genesis and tweeking the Advanced Settings: Adjust ARC Settings > Adjust Targets
https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/advanced-settings/adjust-arc-settings-adjust-targets.php

You can adjust the tilt level or the high frequency roll off. The Genesis automatic room correction is only a starting point, fine tuning by ear can tame a bright room or get the surrounds sounding just right.

Plenty of acoustic treatments from GIK Acoustics may be in your future.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=183

And a stereo pre-amp and a DAC, although excellent for movies (I have an Oppo too, the internal DAC really sucks) both the Anthem AVM 60 and Oppo are really damping down the stereo magic factor. Compared to my AVA Fet Valve CFR Preamp and FET Valve DAC the Anthem/Oppo combo sounds unfocused. The Anthem front channel line out goes into the preamp input #2, music server/DAC is #3, FM tuner is #4, turntable is #1. It's an all in one system.

Gord

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2020, 02:26 am »
Hi Everyone

Been reading Audio Circle for a while but only now have decided to join.
Thanks for the welcome.
To answer the questions.
The Bryston dac is being used with the OPPO. I found the Sabre DAC in the Oppo very "bright"
The sound got much better with the Bryston.
All Anthem equipment is used for Theatre and TV only.
ARC is only used with the Theatre set up.
All music listening is done using the Bryston 4Bsst2 with the Bryston Pre and Oppo/Bryston combo.
The music / theatre area is a dedicated area 12' by 21' Speakers are on the 12' wall. Room is enclosed on 3 sides. the right 21' side is open to a large finished area. Listening position is exactly 10 ft from the front of the speakers.
Speakers are 10' apart. Toed in approx 10 degrees off axis. The room is fully carpeted with thick under pad. All furniture is cloth and sound absorbent.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2020, 03:54 am »
Welcome to AC!

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2020, 04:12 pm »
Thanks for the equipment update, I missed the preamp and DAC, all those Bryston numbers look the same.

How about photos? We love photos.

Are the speaker grills on or off? Maybe the Paradigm's are designed to sound best with the grills on. Many high end speakers like Vandersteen and Von Schweikert are designed with the grills on philosophy.

"Before closing our discussion of the effects of loudspeaker grilles, we should emphasize something we mentioned at the beginning of this article that while most speakers are designed to produce the best sound without grilles and therefore only provide grilles as a protective component that does compromise the sound, some speakers were engineered with the intention of grille use and have designed their speaker’s sound accordingly, such as Vandersteen’s speakers and the Paradigm Premier speakers that we dealt with recently. They do so by factoring in the grille frame as a part of the design and adjust the cabinet and crossover accordingly."

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/grilles

Gord

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2020, 05:00 pm »
Hi WGH

Have always run all speakers grills off. I did have them on but there was no change in sound.
I have another system in my office also running Paradigm 11SE MK2s and also run them without grills.
Looking for feedback from the community suggesting an upgrade path to get to the next level.
The sound of the system with well recorded disks sounds stunning. Great sound stage and imaging. Very "live" feel.
But many disks are very Meh...
Not sure if it is the Speakers, cables, room, all of the above,
Maybe the sound is too high res for my ears. Making it very unforgiving of lesser quality recordings. Do I need to "Warm it up a bit"

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2020, 08:04 pm »
Nice room. I don't know anything about Bryston speakers but luckily AC has a Bryston Circle where you could ask what speakers pair well with Bryston electronics to warm up the sound. Doesn't hurt to ask and explore options.

The center speaker should match the two fronts. The Anthem AVM 60 will match the tonal characteristics of the new front and center speakers with the Paradigm surrounds.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=57

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2020, 09:16 pm »
I believe that cables can fine tune an already excellent system and not be used as tone controls. But when a setup is so expansive and locked in as yours different cables may be the most affordable change.

Where I live we have an active audio club (before covid) and get to hear a lot of different equipment plus borrow stuff to try out in our homes. Back in 2016 we traded around a loaner set of Dana Cables, it was fun to hear them in 3 different systems and to take them home too. Ben liked them, they didn't work as well in my system. I bet they would sound absolutely magical in your setup.

I wrote up a review I posted back in 2016:

The Dana Cable TruStream USB is well made with woven shimmering graphite colored jacket that is very flexible, it reminds me of a snake. I would describe the sound as relaxed, with a rear of hall perspective. Highs are ever so slightly attenuated and bass is accented resulting in a warm rounded sound. Smooth too, with a refined presentation with no particular frequency given prominence.

A little too smooth in my system. The first impressions most people have of RAAL tweeters are they sound laid back but they are very clear. The TruStream made the RAAL's even more laid back. We compared the TruStream USB to a Nobility USB, Supra USB, Straightwire USB-Link, and a Curious Cable.

In a bright, analytical or edgy digital system the Danacable TruStream USB will bring that certain magic. Classical music lovers will also love this cable. We played Fanfare for the Common Man by Copeland at lifelike levels and it sounded jaw dropping so if you listen to music real loud then the TruStream USB is the cable for you.

The Dana Cable Onyx speaker cables had the same relaxed, laid back presentation with phenomenal deep bass and very "analog" sounding. All Dana Cables seem to be tuned for bright analytical systems or rooms.

Dana Cables website prices are crazy expensive but they also have a 30-day money back guarantee.
Hint: ask about a discount if buying more than one type of cable, you may be pleasantly surprised.
http://danacables.com/

I currently use Zenwave Audio D3 interconnects. I tried the D4's and they were too bright in my system. Dave can tune the sound of his cables with wires and plugs to suit your needs and only uses the best parts available. I believe he also has a 30 day return policy.
https://zenwaveaudio.com/

ZenWave also has a circle at AC, ask Dave a question
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=178

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2020, 09:37 pm »
I'm only answering because Bryston 4B-SST²amp.
I have dedicated two channel with Magnepan 20.7 speakers.
THe one area I do notread anything in is power conditioning in your setup.
If you are looking for the magic, it is in the details, and the detail start with good power conditioning. Get a BIG Torus power conditioner from Bryston

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2020, 11:18 pm »
For me the mágic are in a simple system, tubes...

toocool4

« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2020, 11:38 pm »
There is no such thing as magic. Like have been said, it’s all about synergy. Spend some time choosing the correct kit for your sound / taste and that is half the battle, room is very important. I don’t see any room treatment in your pics except the carpet.

By saying you want to keep it Canadian, you are seriously limiting your options.

Gord

« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2020, 03:17 am »
I said I like to keep it Canadian BUT it's all about the sound.
I am open all possibilities.

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 20 Sep 2020, 05:06 pm »
The Triode Wire Labs Spirit 75 S/PDIF cable looks interesting

Here is a current review:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172484.msg1823851#msg1823851

"With listening for so long to the [Kimber S/PDIF] D60, I had to decide which way I wanted to listen to music, with the clean sound of the [Kimber S/PDIF] D60 or the warmer sound of the Spirit. I won’t call the D60 sterile but compared to the Spirit it is more direct sounding. Spirit has a nice organic sound."

Triode has a circle on AC, ask Pete a question
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=200

https://triodewirelabs.com/