Newbie with love and passion

YohanBhikoo

Newbie with love and passion
« on: 11 Sep 2020, 02:50 am »
Hey there everyone,

Young guy over here starting to explore this fascinating world of audio and loudspeaker design. Currently attending an audio recording technology program in NY at a small university. Been to a couple really great venues throughout the city with amazing sound systems and this created my desire and interest towards the Hi-fi/sound system design and Sound reproduction world. Just trying to learn and study as much as I can on my own, with hopes of getting involved within sounds systems in my future..or even now hahaha. Please if anyone can recommend reading materials, particular sounds system companies, blogs or even videos on this field I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you guys. I'm also attempting to build my own system but will start another post mainly for this purpose of guidance towards a proper sounding system.

Cheers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Newbie with love and passion
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2020, 02:03 pm »
Welcome!

I always recommend Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition as the consummate audiophile guide to how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room.    Toole is an acoustician who worked for the National (Canadian) Research Council for decades before retiring out of Harmon International.  Worthwhile review sites include Audio Xpress, audiosciencereview.com, erinsaudiocorner.com, and the Hans Beekhuyzen Channel as they don't take advertising money and actually measure gear.

After decades I've learned to buy from "good" companies (those with deep R&D and manufacturing resources, and relatively long histories).  That'll limit your search substantially.  For speakers look towards Dynaudio, Focal, and JBL.  For electronics start looking at Benchmark or NAD.  There are hundreds of would be experts out there selling their gear or promoting how much they "know" who are little more than hobbyists.  Note that Dynaudio, Focal, and JBL all offer active loudspeakers, which have several superior technologies. 

The priorities for good sound reproduction at home starts with the performance and the recording.  In classical music there are numerous versions of the same piece, but for the rest it gets harder.  Next is the speaker.  Believe it or not technology exist to predict loudspeaker performance, but it's complex and expensive so most reviewers don't use it.  The other predictor for loudspeaker performance is the use of a panel of trained listeners using double blind techniques, which many audiophiles pooh-pooh!  Finally the room itself is an important factor (size, shape, insulation, and treatment are all factors).  This is where most audiophiles fall far short as they get gear fixated. 

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2020, 02:27 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2020, 02:59 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Yohan   :thumb: