new member introduction

Brno Gahr

new member introduction
« on: 11 Sep 2020, 12:03 am »
my first post - I'm retired. (I'm recovering from many years as a writer/editor for a legal publisher.) I haven't been giving a lot of thought to decent audio until recently. My NAD integrated amp gave up in mid-March (great timing!). I'd have preferred going to a dealer, but they were all closed. I bought a SA3-PA3 stack from IOTAVX. I tried out some DACs and bought a schiit multibit (and modi headphone amp) for the preamp-amp. I bought an audioquest cobalt to connect to my iPads. I have a lot of music on iTunes - ~1.6T in several libraries, separated by music categories. some questions for future posts, maybe: is jitter something that matters when playing ALAC files, as compared to playing through CDs? Should I be thinking about replacing my peachtree d4 speakers? should I buy a turntable to play LPs that I haven't heard for years? I know I can transfer my iTunes music to other players, but is there anything out there that will let me also transfer the nested-folder playlist structures? Maybe I'll think of some more questions. Or maybe I'll find some answers as soon as I can search, which will be as soon as I put up a couple more posts, I guess.

Phil A

Re: new member introduction
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2020, 03:23 am »
Welcome!  We have a 'Discless Circle'  where it would be best to pose questions related to file playback.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2020, 11:49 am »
Welcome!

Thanks for the nice introduction.  Wish you'd found us sooner.  By the way the three posts rule only limits you to private messaging and the trading posts, so keep posting.  I retired 5 years ago and had ripped all my CDs to iTunes, playing them through a MacBook Air then via 10ft USB cable to a variety of DAC/preamps, then onward to mono-block power amps/speakers or straight to active speakers.  Then I discovered Tidal (CD quality streaming service).  For $20/month (or possibly less) you can have access to millions of albums anywhere within reach of the internet. 

That IOTAVX stack is "interesting".  No USB or ethernet inputs (reminiscent of designs from 10 years ago) and the power amp only adds 3 dB output if added in a convoluted way.  Why did you add a DAC and headphone amp when you already paid for both features in the SA3?  You're question regarding buying a turntable would be based on several factors: what condition your vinyl is in; are they available on a streaming service; how much of a hobbyist are you (want to dink with caring for records, adjusting the cartridge, etc.). 

Your question regarding speakers is another personal question:  are you happy with them; what are your audio goals; what is the listening room like; what's your budget.  The d4 are nothing really special, but OTOH there hasn't been a revolution in speaker design either.  Don't know about iTune file playlist transfer options. 

We can help you spend thousands on new gear.   :green: 

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2020, 12:37 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2020, 03:02 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Brno   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2020, 01:48 am »
Welcome