22" sub driver-the jackhammer-

rosconey

« on: 2 Mar 2005, 08:35 pm »
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/jackHammer.cfm

320lbs :o
23" tall :o

bet jackman wishes he thought of that name instead of the scrotum smasher :nono:

ekovalsky

« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2005, 09:13 pm »
I bet a pair of those driven with bridged Crown K2 amps would be killer.  Particularly to the frame and foundation of your house  :lol:

Bingenito

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2005, 10:08 pm »
I would much prefer multiple low distortion drivers that would be higher sensitivity and more linear.

Try pulling 10,00 watts out of the wall  :D

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2005, 11:57 pm »
INSANE

But Bingenito...they say it is designed for sonic quality AND high SPL.  :wink:

Quote from: MTX Marketing Gurus
But, the T9922 is designed for sonic quality, and high SPL, what we call SQL. JackHammers are shipped in either the SPL mode, with dual 2Ω voice coils, or as the SQL model with dual 4Ω voice coils.

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2005, 12:09 am »
INSANE

Stupid and unnecessary also come to mind. Not knocking it because the R&D may actually result in something that will be of use to us.

Adire has a motor that can drive a 4ft square piston. If I was going to raise hell in the trailer park I think I would opt for that  :rock:

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2005, 01:08 am »
Quote from: Bingenito
Stupid and unnecessary also come to mind. Not knocking it because the R&D may actually result in something that will be of use to us.

Perhaps stupid and unneccessary for your needs but MTX Marketing Gurus have done research and fulfilled a vitally important niche in the market: that niche of people that want a 320lb subwoofer nearly 8cubic feet in volume which will cause cardiac arrest when running at half power.  

Adire has a motor that can drive a 4ft square piston. If I was going to raise hell in the trailer park I think I would opt for that  :rock:

I think you would raise the trailer park...of course that's what trailer parks are built for...easy liftoff in the event of high winds. :rotflmao:

Bingenito

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2005, 01:28 am »
Perhaps stupid and unneccessary for your needs but MTX Marketing Gurus have done research and fulfilled a vitally important niche in the market: that niche of people that want a 320lb subwoofer nearly 8cubic feet in volume which will cause cardiac arrest when running at half power.

Agreed. Add to that last sentence: "In the back of a Honda Civic hatchback"

I happen to come across videos of woofer excursion at auto SPL contests. These guys are unique to say the least. They use as many 12 and 15" woofers as they can stuff in a car or SUV then do a tone burst for around 2 seconds to measure peak SPL. The videos show girls hair being blown forward from the air displacement.

Call me crazy but it would seem allot cheaper to install a fan in your car if your goal is to displace air with total disregard for sound quality.

People probably think similar things about us when it comes to the money we spend on gear. :lol:

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2005, 03:21 am »
People probably think similar things about us when it comes to the money we spend on gear.

Here is the scene:  Your neighbor comes over to tell you about the boat and trailor he just bought.  But you're so excited about your recent audio purchase that you cut him off...

Regular Joe"Hey...I just got this new boat..."

Interuption by Rank Audiophile:

Rank Audiophile"...yeah so I just got the best deal ever on some of those new Transparent speaker cables..."

Regular Joe-"Oh yeah..how much were they?"

Rank Audiophile"they were only $11,000 for an 8ft pair"

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2005, 03:27 am »
Oh come now, if you have to ask...

This is a "product" that is so far removed from what happens on this forum, that I actually hesitate to comment, but since I used to do a little car audio, I know how the scene was about 3-4 years ago.

All the things that you describe exist.

There are others, people who want good sound in a car.  I dropped a modest 3K on a system for my BMW - separates for the front stage, sealed 12 inch sub, 2 amps.  The sound was decent, at best.

The bass pressure however, I have yet to equal anywhere.  That Fosgate 12 inch sub, driven by a Class D 500w mono amp, would really pressurize the cabin - I am not talking about booming bass that you hear 2 blocks away.  I was proud that the system could not be heard from 5 feet away from the car, with windows and sunroof closed.  Hop in though, and it would stand the hair on the back of your neck with Madonna or Crystal Method.

I sold the car, and have not bothered to invest in a system for my Accord - it is more money that it is worth, to achieve mediocre results, in cars, in my experience.

I sold off some of the gear, but retained the rest for use in my HT system, since I don't care as much about the SQL of that portion of my home system... and it was like having free in ceiling surround speakers.

Sure, we can all poke fun at the kids in Civics, but some of them grow up to buy decent home kit too!

Now, how do I get 16 of those subs into my laundry room, and run them IB....

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2005, 03:35 am »
You could probably have fun putting that basketball on the cone and using a tone generator to make it dance around.  Hit it with a big transient and maybe you could shoot hoops with it?

They should really show a more real world photo with stuff in the background, because the white backdrop suggests it could simply be a cheap photo manipulation.

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2005, 05:35 am »

Someday I should head up the street and check out the Parthenon if they've got one around and hooked up. Mmmmm, 450+ liters of displacement.... :mrgreen:

Bingenito

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2005, 12:29 pm »
I tell you what for movies matched up with room EQ and tons of clean power that is the sub to have. Talk about getting gut punched. You have got to give Adire some credit on the development of that driver. They thought outside of the box in the R&D.

A few of those would have the displacement of a moving wall. Throw away your bass shakers and put on your Depends :lol:

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2005, 02:55 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
You could probably have fun putting that basketball on the cone and using a tone generator to make it dance around.  Hit it with a big transient and maybe you could shoot hoops with it?

They should really show a more real world photo with stuff in the background, because the white backdrop suggests it could simply be a cheap photo manipulation.

it makes the wheels look small.  I think I have found my IB sub.  I will just have to tell the power company I need a 50amp dedicated line run to my basement.   :|