I have to make a Dynavector decision. 20x2, 10x5 mkii, or re-tip my old 10x5?

nickrobotron

Replacing my Rega turntable with a new Luxman PD-151 with a Jelco arm. Time for a cartridge upgrade.

I love my standard 10x5 but it has a lot of hours on it. I could re-tip it for not a lot of money and potentially better it. Or I could go with the higher end 20x2 or the new upgraded 10x5 mkii. My Luxman L-509x integrated has MC and MM stages.

OR you guys could talk my into a new Hana cartridge. I am not sure if this is a better match for the Jelco arm than the Dynavectors.

Budget is $1500. Would prefer less, but willing to go that high if it's worth it.

nature boy

This AT cartridge is highly recommended. Replaced my Dyna 20X2 low output. Truly exceptional. Works well with a medium compliance arm, mine is a modified RB300.

https://www.musicdirect.com/phono-cartridges/Audio-Technica-AT-OC9XML-Dual-MC-Phono-Cartridge

NB

sunnydaze

At well below your budget, I'd give serious consideration to this one:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649653324-soundsmith-zephyr-mimc-cartridge-like-new/

https://www.musicdirect.com/phono-cartridges/soundsmith-zephyr-mk-iii-es-mi-phono-cartridge

Just re-tipped and inspected by the best, so it's basically new at a used price.

The compliance is on the low side so it should work in the heavy-ish Jelco arm.  But do the research.  I use the older version of this cart in an Origin Live arm and it is excellent. 

I also owned both HO and LO versions of Dyna 20X.  Loved em both but thought the LO was noticeably better.  I used them on medium mass arms in the 12g range.  IMO you just can't go wrong with this cart.  Coming from the 10x it s/b a nice upgrade.   I can't comment on the  RF suitability on your Jelco.

On my 10 inch Jelco arm a Denon 103R performed great.  Well below your budget.

Good luck!

Luxmancl38

Replacing my Rega turntable with a new Luxman PD-151 with a Jelco arm. Time for a cartridge upgrade.

I love my standard 10x5 but it has a lot of hours on it. I could re-tip it for not a lot of money and potentially better it. Or I could go with the higher end 20x2 or the new upgraded 10x5 mkii. My Luxman L-509x integrated has MC and MM stages.

OR you guys could talk my into a new Hana cartridge. I am not sure if this is a better match for the Jelco arm than the Dynavectors.

Budget is $1500. Would prefer less, but willing to go that high if it's worth it.
I have the Luxman PD-171A and my first cart on the TT was the Dynavector 20xl2. Excellent match w/the Jelco arm. I have a Luxman CL38U SE tube preamp and I got excellent results w/the built in phono. The phono on the 509 is excellent. I recently upgraded my cart to the Dynavector Karat 17DX. As good as the 20xl2 was this cart is in another league. Just more detail especially from the secondary instruments. Digs up more of the music. One thing both carts have in common is there is very little surface noise. You'll really enjoy the music w/the 20xl2.

toocool4

For me there is only one problem with re-tipping, a re-tipped cartridge will always sound different unless done by the original manufacturer. So if you already like the sound of what you have, either buy a new one or get it re-tipped by the original manufacturer.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
If you liked the 10x5 you'll love the 20x2.  I have both. 

jjss49

my 2 cents

move up the dyna line

they just get better and better - i know from first hand experience

RandyH

I have the Dyna 20x2 on my VPI Aries with VPI tonearm.  Excellent match.  The 20x2 is very detailed and revealing.  I've never heard the Dyna 10 but would tend to agree with the poster who suggested that if you like the sound of your Dynavector 10 you will really like the sound of the 20.

Luxmancl38

I had the 10x5, the 20xl2 and now the 17Karat DX. All excellent. But the sound keeps getting better as you move up the line. It also makes your wallet slimmer.

jmolsberg

i've had the 20x2 l for three years - its a great cart. rugged as well. i have had some scotch induced gaffes with no ill effect. i may move up the chain on the next one.