Hi newbie from Sanford, FL!

Budget_Mike

Hi newbie from Sanford, FL!
« on: 2 Sep 2020, 04:39 pm »
Well, I suppose I should tell a little about myself. 33yr old, finally attempting to set up a HiFi stereo listening area. I do more research then is probably healthy. Just moved into a new home and am planning to set up a listening area in not the most ideal or dedicated area for guests and myself alike. As far as equipment so far I have a Pioneer SX-750, Music Hall Classic turntable with a soon to install AT VM540ML cartridge. Considering my non-dedicated location and newly refinished Terrazzo floors I though OB speaker set up like the X-Statik would be more forgiving with my not ideal situation. I plan on doing my best with dispersion and bass traps but as you can imagine I will be limited on if it looks appealing to the eye. My wife is an artist and I a photographer so I've considered using our art and creating acoustic panels with them.

As I'm sure everyone is, I'm looking for that knock your socks off WOW factor. For the average person to be able to walk in, sit down and feel like they're part of the band so to speak. Sound stage, imaging and accurate reproduction are all priority to me.

Well that was long winded... :lol: I look forward to learning as much as possible from our fellow members!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hi newbie from Sanford, FL!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2020, 03:47 am »
Welcome  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2020, 01:10 pm »
Welcome aboard!

GIK (look for them here at AC) offers custom art impregnation on their panels.

Recommend active monitors with multiple subs as the ideal setup.  Can be done for under $3000.  What's your budget?

Budget_Mike

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2020, 01:18 pm »
Welcome aboard!

GIK (look for them here at AC) offers custom art impregnation on their panels.

Recommend active monitors with multiple subs as the ideal setup.  Can be done for under $3000.  What's your budget?

Hmm elaborate more, I've considered H frame subs for clean, tight bass. Have not considered active monitors, was looking to use my vintage Pioneer receiver as a piece of the puzzle. I actually currently have monitors wired to the Pioneer (from a HTiB Energy take classics) and using the 8" sub in the meantime. Budget is an excellent question, as I would like this set up sooner rather then later and with the components already purchased I was looking at just needing some speakers. The DIY route seems to be the best bang for buck. CSS Audio and GR research have both caught my eye as potential options seeming for under $1,500 I could put together a truly amazing sounding front stage.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2020, 01:22 pm »
Welcome!  Located in Central FL towards the coast

Budget_Mike

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2020, 01:24 pm »
Hmm elaborate more, I've considered H frame subs for clean, tight bass. Have not considered active monitors, was looking to use my vintage Pioneer receiver as a piece of the puzzle. I actually currently have monitors wired to the Pioneer (from a HTiB Energy take classics) and using the 8" sub in the meantime. Budget is an excellent question, as I would like this set up sooner rather then later and with the components already purchased I was looking at just needing some speakers. The DIY route seems to be the best bang for buck. CSS Audio and GR research have both caught my eye as potential options seeming for under $1,500 I could put together a truly amazing sounding front stage.

To be a little more clear the GR Reaserch X-statik DIY speakers I was looking into are 3-way. So I currently don't have a budget for subwoofers, was hoping they would either be good enough or tie me over until budget permits.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2020, 02:20 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Mike   :thumb:

Budget_Mike

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2020, 03:57 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Mike   :thumb:

Thanks! Great to be around such knowledgeable people!

JDoyle

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2020, 04:43 pm »

...I do more research then is probably healthy.

Ha! Yes, we’re all guilty of that...

Welcome

JD

Budget_Mike

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2020, 05:01 pm »
Ha! Yes, we’re all guilty of that...

Welcome

JD

Whew, finally a group that understands me!! Poor wife has had to listen to my rants not understanding a word but loving the passion lol

twitch54

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2020, 07:00 pm »
Welcome aboard Mike, I've caught the Auto Train home from Florida many times over the years from Sanford