Attaching phono cartridge clips

blindman5

Attaching phono cartridge clips
« on: 1 Sep 2020, 03:24 am »
Hi All, Well, I got the new arm, mounted my Ortophone 2MRed, and attempted to attach the wires to the pins of the cartridge. They would not fit. The leads were to big. Besides, while doing that, one snapped off. Joy! So I ordered some clips from Parts Connexion. These have the heat shrink tubing with them. Now, while I see which end goes to the wire, I couldn't seem to get one to fit the cartridge pins. I talked to their tech guy, and he said they would fit, but they will be quite snug. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sonny

Re: Attaching phono cartridge clips
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2020, 04:07 am »
Hi, sorry to hear about this.  It's hard to know what's going on, so a picture or two really helps! 

If you need to make the lead clips bigger to access the pins, try gently, but firmly, put a toothpick in the leads to expand them, that should get them larger to fit the pin.

Hope this helps.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2020, 01:28 pm »
I use a small fine pointed awl.  I would be afraid of having the toothpick break off in the lead and trying to get that out.  Just my .02

blindman5

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2020, 02:11 pm »
 :scratch:Well, I tried the paperclip. It didn't work. If you go to the partsconnexion.com site, these are the only ones that seem to include heatshrink tubing It's either 877 or 1877, I forget which. I'm told these will fit, but it is going to be a snug fit. Joy! I'm going to have someone solder them on for me. I can do some soldering, but with this small of an item, i don't trust my soldering ability. The clips that are currently on the arm seem to be to big. So I will just take them off and put the new ones on.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2020, 03:10 pm »
I use a small fine pointed awl.  I would be afraid of having the toothpick break off in the lead and trying to get that out.  Just my .02
I've used an ice pick with gentle pressure. 

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2020, 08:35 pm »
I've used an ice pick with gentle pressure.

as have I ......

GentleBender

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2020, 10:40 pm »

Like Basic Instinct?  :wink: :lol:
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2020, 11:42 pm by GentleBender »

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2020, 12:30 am »
No, that's probably going to break and get stuck in place like the toothpick.  :eyebrows:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2020, 02:27 pm »
I get something pointy and made of metal that's toward the top of my toolbox to open up pins, or my smallest set of needle nose pliers or hemostats to compress ones that are too large.  A common issue when using Grado carts.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2020, 05:27 pm »

Just use some Progold contact enhancer. Slides on easier. sounds better as well.

charles