Power Supply for BDP-pi

jobiwon

Power Supply for BDP-pi
« on: 29 Aug 2020, 06:16 pm »
I have come upon a SGC 15W 12v linear power supply.  Will this run my BDP-Pi?  The urrent Pi  power supply indicates 25W MAX.  But dont know if that is what the Pi actually needs to operate.

joe

srb

Re: Power Supply for BDP-pi
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2020, 06:33 pm »
According to the back panel power jack legend, the BDP-Pi requires 12VDC @ 2A (24W).

Your 12V/15W linear supply can only output 1.25A which most likely won't work properly.

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2020, 06:45 pm »
To operate, it may not need the max, but startup usually requires a lot of power. The BDP very well may not even boot. I always oversize my linear power supplies. Have a few Teradak, including a 12V 13A. Totally overkill, but sounds great!

jobiwon

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2020, 09:38 pm »
 :duh:

Thanks for replies guys.  SGC support says the unit will power  router and switches.  If I wanted to try this thing out where would try it ?  I have the below modem/router:

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/actiontec-c3000a.html

I also have linksys velop AC3900 mesh routers.  One node is hardwired to the c3000a and one node is directly wired to the Pi.  Where in the chain would be a good place to give it a go?

edit: I just put it on the c3000a and its working but have not fired up the Pi yet.
joe

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2020, 02:46 pm »
:duh:

Thanks for replies guys.  SGC support says the unit will power  router and switches.  If I wanted to try this thing out where would try it ?  I have the below modem/router:

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/actiontec-c3000a.html

I also have linksys velop AC3900 mesh routers.  One node is hardwired to the c3000a and one node is directly wired to the Pi.  Where in the chain would be a good place to give it a go?

edit: I just put it on the c3000a and its working but have not fired up the Pi yet.
joe

If you don't have any bus powered USB devices connect to the BDPPi it might work, but you'd be drawing close to max current from a 15Watt supply and the BDP-Pi would likely loose power if you tried to plugin a bus power led USB device.  I would recommend finding something that is 25watts and you could also use an ac transformer style walwart as the BDP does have a bridge rectifier to allow reversal of power polarity and ac sources.  Followed by a linear regulator to produce the final 5 volt supply that the digital hardware requires.

Chris

Chris