Greyhound - Tom Hanks fights submarines in WWII

WGH

Greyhound - Tom Hanks fights submarines in WWII
« on: 25 Aug 2020, 03:26 pm »

Greyhound on Apple TV+ is a pretty good battleship vs. submarine WWII adventure. Tom Hanks commands the Fletcher-class destroyer USS Keeling, radio call sign Greyhound, leading a convoy of 37 allied ships across the Atlantic through the "Black Pit" - the Mid-Atlantic gap where they will be out of range of protective air cover. The Black Pit is also the hunting ground of a wolf pack of German U-boat subs.

Plenty of tense moments during the cat and mouse battles in this tightly scripted film. Tom Hanks also wrote the screenplay.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

WC

Re: Greyhound - Tom Hanks fights submarines in WWII
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2020, 08:12 pm »
It was pretty good. Didn't quite realize what a destroyer actually did in the the Navy. This movie gave me a better idea.

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2020, 08:18 pm »
Watched this twice to accurately set  up home theater system which consists Kef LS50 as fronts , SVS Ultra 3 way CC Klipsch Atmos 410S surrounds full range athena WS 100 Denon 4500 AVR ( newly acquired ) plus two REl S/812 subs honestly speaking I had better experience than I would  have had at a local theater !  :D :D :D
LG C8 OLED
Asghar

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2020, 10:22 pm »
Agreed, good job all around. Great (what must be) CGI for the battles; fortunately the movie has substance too- when someone recommends a movie and all they have to say about it is "The special effects were great", I usually don't bother with it.

Anyone who liked this might like Das Boot, about WW1 U-boat combat from the POV of a sub crew. In that war, members of the submarine corps had a survival rate of 25%. Watch that one when you've got some time on your hands though; it's over 3 hours.

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2020, 12:00 am »
Wish it had wider distribution. I don't have Apple +

jhm731

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2020, 12:44 am »
Signed up for Apple TV + to watch the movie.

Tom Hanks did a wonderful job playing Tom Hanks, otherwise it was boring.

Looked at the rest of the Apple TV + shows and canceled it. They did give a refund.

Whitese

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2020, 01:08 am »
I definitely enjoyed this movie..When I was in the hospital with Covid-nanigans, I watched the previews hundreds of times....

Shame I didn't watch it in a good ol' çinema....My wife and daughter also enjoyed it! :popcorn:

MttBsh

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2020, 01:45 am »
In that war, members of the submarine corps had a survival rate of 25%.

Heading out to sea with a 75% chance of being blown up by depth charges 100 feet or more underwater does not sound like something I would want to do. A claustrophobic's nightmare...

A_shah

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2020, 04:21 am »

If you have an Iphone you can download Apple TV+ app and with a smart Tv  send the signal  it to your TV, Roku also has Apple TV presently all LG smart TV have apple TV+ apps.
Asghar

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2020, 01:01 pm »
Sign up for the 30 day trial, then cancel before  30 days. You cvan get a one year trial when you buy an apple ipad, phone, computer or set top box.

While I'm at it I'll also recommend 'For All Mankind', a reimagining of the space race in which the Russians get to the moon first and the space race never ends. It's a series, not a movie, and it takes 2 or 3 episodes before it builds up steam IMO, but I like it.

jcsperson

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2020, 01:28 pm »
Anyone who liked this might like Das Boot, about WW1 U-boat combat from the POV of a sub crew. In that war, members of the submarine corps had a survival rate of 25%. Watch that one when you've got some time on your hands though; it's over 3 hours.

One of the most gripping and authentic war movies I've ever seen.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2020, 04:54 pm »
One of the most gripping and authentic war movies I've ever seen.

Agreed, Das Boot is really good.

A_shah

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2020, 08:33 pm »
This is a Great movie to test and setup you Dolby Atmos & dual Subwoofers ! :popcorn:

Asghar