Are these Capacitors the same?

undertowogt1

Are these Capacitors the same?
« on: 23 Aug 2020, 10:04 pm »
Hi,

I have been in the process of "upgrading" my cross over and have ran into a snag. Attached is a Pic, the Black Cap is the original Part, a 68 uf Cap. The Clarity is the replacement I bought thinking it would benefit the speaker. After installing into the crossover the speaker sounds worse. Seem like the bass and mids are uncontrolled. The the question is why would this happen? Are these not the same value?  I understand the VDC is different but I thought that didn't matter as long it is higher. I also thought VDC is the same as V. Any help is appreciated. If anything I will have wasted some dough on these caps. :duh:

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Are these Capacitors the same?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2020, 10:37 pm »
Give the cap at least 50 to 100 hours breakin.  I replaced all the output caps in my BAT preamp with the same exact caps and I thought I ruined the preamp.  It sounded thin and bright and then at 150 hours it blossomed and was even better than before.

Teflon caps take about 500 hours of break in.

Of course, it could be that the sound of your smaller cap is just better in that speaker.

undertowogt1

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2020, 10:57 pm »
When this Cap is inline the Bass and Mids are not quite as deep ,uncontrolled and there is slight harsh ring to the sound. This is the best way I can describe it.

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2020, 11:21 pm »
Hi,

I have been in the process of "upgrading" my cross over and have ran into a snag. Attached is a Pic, the Black Cap is the original Part, a 68 uf Cap. The Clarity is the replacement I bought thinking it would benefit the speaker. After installing into the crossover the speaker sounds worse. Seem like the bass and mids are uncontrolled. The the question is why would this happen? Are these not the same value?  I understand the VDC is different but I thought that didn't matter as long it is higher. I also thought VDC is the same as V. Any help is appreciated. If anything I will have wasted some dough on these caps. :duh:

For starters it would help to know more about the crossover. Sounds to me like you made a mistake somewhere when replacing the cap.

mboxler

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2020, 11:53 pm »

Are these not the same value? 

Maybe not.  I'd measure both caps, 'cause I never trust labels.

undertowogt1

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2020, 03:43 am »

For starters it would help to know more about the crossover. Sounds to me like you made a mistake somewhere when replacing the cap.
[/quote]

Thanks wushuliu. I re visited how I was wiring that portion of the XO. I had the Mid and Bass speaker wires wired at the very top of the 68 Cap Lead. This seemed to really have a negative effect on the sound. Harsh, a little ring and a little less bass and punch. I am pretty sure I figured it out with everyone help and a lot of trouble shooting. I am very happy now, thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2020, 04:09 am »
These caps were made different, the Clarity is Rohs compliant(no lead) what may be bad as in the case of the no lead solder.
https://www.militaryaerospace.com/home/article/16708161/leadfree-solder-a-train-wreck-in-the-making

undertowogt1

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2020, 06:02 am »
These caps were made different, the Clarity is Rohs compliant(no lead) what may be bad as in the case of the no lead solder.
https://www.militaryaerospace.com/home/article/16708161/leadfree-solder-a-train-wreck-in-the-making

Interesting. I had a hell of a time getting the Lead to solder to the coil . It would only attach near the top were the original solder was.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2020, 01:06 pm »
I did a crossover upgrade on a pair of speakers I loved. Replaced some very standard looking parts with boutique parts. Yes, the sound of the speakers changed. Was it an improvement? Not to my ears. I sold the speakers.

I'm thinking the designer knew what he was doing when he voiced the speaker. The lesson I learned was, if I want a different sound from a speaker, I'll buy a different sounding speaker.

undertowogt1

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2020, 01:19 pm »
I did a crossover upgrade on a pair of speakers I loved. Replaced some very standard looking parts with boutique parts. Yes, the sound of the speakers changed. Was it an improvement? Not to my ears. I sold the speakers.

I'm thinking the designer knew what he was doing when he voiced the speaker. The lesson I learned was, if I want a different sound from a speaker, I'll buy a different sounding speaker.

Ya, I have also been learning a lot during this process and at many points questioned my decision to upgrade. (especially when I was having trouble). Luckily if i do not like what I hear I can put the old one back easily with the Cheaper parts. So far I am liking it though.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2020, 11:29 pm »
When I want a different sound from a speaker I change the internal enclosure stuffing, Its a powerful toll.

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2020, 01:23 am »
CSA is a polypropylene dielectric so 25 hours should be enough for it to settle down, while full break in can be 100 hours. But it can be a wild ride until then so be patient. This is a normal part of using the larger size, better quality film caps. After break-in you will have more detail, less grain and much more beautiful harmonic development than electrolytic cap, especially when used on higher frequency drivers.

undertowogt1

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2020, 02:52 am »
CSA is a polypropylene dielectric so 25 hours should be enough for it to settle down, while full break in can be 100 hours. But it can be a wild ride until then so be patient. This is a normal part of using the larger size, better quality film caps. After break-in you will have more detail, less grain and much more beautiful harmonic development than electrolytic cap, especially when used on higher frequency drivers.
OK, This is good two know, it is all still sounding a little funky. I understand that the Cap burn in theory could be non sense to some people but I will not know for myself until I try myself. Ill run them in and see what happens.  The good thing as that I can always go back to stock for a few bucks :lol:
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2020, 03:44 pm by undertowogt1 »