NX Studio Monitors bolted to stands

petemoss

NX Studio Monitors bolted to stands
« on: 22 Aug 2020, 10:17 pm »
I am building a pair of NX Studio monitors and noticed that in one of the other build threads they bolted the bottom of the monitors to the top of the speaker stand.  I like the idea since these are pretty tall monitors and could easily be knocked off the stand.  However, i was always under the assumption that the stand should be solidly "Connected" to the floor...IE spike through a carpet into wood or sitting on concrete and the speakers isolated from the stands as much as possible.  What is the general consensus...is is a bad idea to bolt the speakers to the stand? 

mick wolfe

Re: NX Studio Monitors bolted to stands
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2020, 03:12 pm »
Not familiar with the GR Monitor,(although I plan on building a pair) but I would think it's a good idea to leave yourself a "de-coupling " option in this type of speaker set-up. In other words, if you're to spike the stand to the floor, leave yourself an option to decouple between the top plate of the stand and the bottom of the speaker.
This especially in regard to suspended floors where decoupling is normally desired either at the floor or between the top plate and speaker bottom.  Bottom line, I wouldn't bolt the speaker to the stand. As always, YMMV.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2020, 05:42 pm »
With carpet I do spikes.  With concrete or wood floors I do isolation type feet.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2020, 06:50 pm »
Bolt them, but keep in mind that the same pressure that would knock a monitor down can also topple a bolted monitor/stand unless your stands are heavy or reinforced to be tip-proof.   

petemoss

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2020, 12:19 am »
Yes...the stands are pretty beefy...they are rated up to 80 lbs .  They have heavy 3/4" glass base plates, a steel 3" post that can be filled with sand bags.  I think that all will help keep them as stable as possible.  There is always a chance of course...add young kids, dogs and other uncontrollable critters and anything is possible.  So i guess i will try bolting them to the stand, and putting isolation feet between the stand and the floor (hard wood).

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2020, 02:17 am »
Rule of thumb is if the floor is solid (concrete) then spike it or couple it to the floor.

If the floor is loosy (floor can move) like a suspended wood floor, then add a damper.

I know the word de-coupling or de-coupler is often used, but it is never really de-coupled. It is always coupled to the floor. The device often called a de-coupler is really a damper.