Duratex and Primer?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Duratex and Primer?
« on: 19 Aug 2020, 03:08 pm »
My first build I didn't use any primer and it worked pretty well.  Very very slight difference in the end grain. 

My second build, I'm thinking of using some Zinsser BIN primer since it's Shellac based.  Has anyone done it?  Did you only do the end grain or whole cabinet?  I'd like to hear your thoughts.  I've seen the glue/water trick but that doesn't seem "professional" to me. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Duratex and Primer?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2020, 03:23 pm »
As a general rule, any primer or sealer should be applied to entire thing, whatever that might be, to ensure equal absorption and evaporation of topcoats. This will give most even sheen and consistent drying characteristics.

I might apply two coats to any exposed core material because of greater porosity.

Think of it as a base coat, sort of like a skin.

BIN is shellac, albeit pigmented.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2020, 03:24 pm »
As a general rule, any primer or sealer should be applied to entire thing, whatever that might be, to ensure equal absorption and evaporation of topcoats. This will give most even sheen and consistent drying characteristics.

I might apply two coats to any exposed core material because of greater porosity.

Think of it as a base coat, sort of like a skin.

BIN is shellac, albeit pigmented.

Have you used the BIN?  Coat entire cabinet then lightly sand with 80g? 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2020, 03:31 pm »
Yes, I've used it extensively. It's an adequate sealer and base coat.

80 grit is pretty aggressive. I imagine Duratex has a recommendation for prep sanding, although I haven't looked.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2020, 04:32 pm »
Yes, I've used it extensively. It's an adequate sealer and base coat.

80 grit is pretty aggressive. I imagine Duratex has a recommendation for prep sanding, although I haven't looked.
No recommendation that I've seen.  Figured a quick 80g palm sander will remove any sort of top layer and create a really good mechanical bond for Duratex to bond to while also filling any sanding marks.  What grit would you use otherwise?  120 grit?

https://www.acrytech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Applying-DuraTex.pdf

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2020, 05:02 pm »
I did go look after posting and found the same document. They also state no primer is required, which in my experience, produces results like you described in first post.

Admittedly, they aren't targeting the "fine finish" realm. Rather it's marketed as a tough finish that's user friendly and easy to apply and gives acceptable results.

My comment concerning 80 grit was borne of more conventional wood finishing experience, so perhaps wasn't applicable here. Indeed the final finish is intended to be textured. My only concern would be sanding through the sealer and exposing raw wood fiber, thus mitigating the seal coat to some degree. BIN will absorb into surface a bit but, by and large, it's a surface film product.