DAC Question

WarmColors

DAC Question
« on: 16 Aug 2020, 07:53 am »
Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC or a Schiit Jotunheim.

I am leaning more towards PS Audio because i have had the opportunity listening to a Sabre DAC and something about it just catches my ear. Though I don't have any DSD or DXD music files on my PC and I don't plan on purchasing any since the genre of music i like is not offered in those files. Only benefit i can think of it's just that with PS Audio it has a sample rate up to 32/384 (I don't have music in that quality either) and i know that it has a Sabre DAC.

Schiit I have not had the opportunity to listen to any of it's products. People seem to enjoy how they sound. It's definitely cheaper which my bank account will appreciate. 24/192 which i may have a couple songs. Only thing i dislike no remote. I am still a little confused with the two configurations with multi bit and two dac option could someone please elaborate which one would be better?

Does anybody have any of these products? or both which one do you like best?

Any advice will really be appreciated.

mkrawcz

Re: DAC Question
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2020, 12:29 pm »
Save up and get a Matrix Element X. It's the best DAC on the market at any price right now and does everything.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2020, 12:51 pm »
I have a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC. In addition to the DAC, it is also a preamp with a volume control that doesn’t alter the sound as volume is decreased. Their trade in program can soften the hit to the bank account. They will credit you the full retail price of what you trade in, up to 30% of the cost of the Item you are buying.

I’ve been very happy with the GCD. So much so that when I stepped up to the DirectStream DAC and BHK preamp, I kept the GCD.

I don’t have any experience with the Schiit DAC.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2020, 01:22 pm »
I have the Schiit Modius Dac and it sounds fantastic!  What other features draw you to Jotenheim?

WarmColors

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2020, 02:31 pm »
I have the Schiit Modius Dac and it sounds fantastic!  What other features draw you to Jotenheim?

I know for purist Audiophiles it's better to have components separated. I could purchase the Bifrost and the Freya+. Honestly what draws me is the DAC and Preamp in one option. I have gone on youtube and watched the reviews for each product.
The specs seem respectable for what you are paying. Having the headphone amp on it is also a huge plus.

WarmColors

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2020, 02:34 pm »
I have a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC. In addition to the DAC, it is also a preamp with a volume control that doesn’t alter the sound as volume is decreased. Their trade in program can soften the hit to the bank account. They will credit you the full retail price of what you trade in, up to 30% of the cost of the Item you are buying.

I’ve been very happy with the GCD. So much so that when I stepped up to the DirectStream DAC and BHK preamp, I kept the GCD.

I don’t have any experience with the Schiit DAC.

PS Audio has a better love it or hate it program. 30 days no questions asked. Unlike Schiit where i still have to pay a restocking fee and i believe their program is 7 or 14 days.
Again my i am leaning more towards PS Audio but i just need that extra push for me to pull the trigger.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2020, 03:55 pm »
PS Audio has a better love it or hate it program. 30 days no questions asked. Unlike Schiit where i still have to pay a restocking fee and i believe their program is 7 or 14 days.
Again my i am leaning more towards PS Audio but i just need that extra push for me to pull the trigger.

With you leaning toward the PS Audio and their full refund policy, it sounds like the Gaincell DAC would be the first choice. Then if you don't like it you can get a full refund and buy the Schiit.

zenfishbike

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2020, 12:51 pm »
I have the PSA Stellar GCD and am very impressed with it. In fact, so much so, that shortly after it's break-in period (of about 40-50hrs) I bought a second one.  The preamp section is also very, very good. As is the remote. And in my listening room the home theater by-pass function sealed the deal. The headphone section is raved by others however I prefer my Audeze Deckard (approx $600 years ago) (If that section requires it's own break-in period then I haven't given it a fair shake). All-in-all though the CGD is an excellent value IMO.

I also use an Oppo BDP-105D and there is no comparison between it's DAC section and the GCD. The Oppo's were touted as having good dacs back in their day, for a CD player anyway.

BTW, I also have an older Schitt Bi-Frost Multibit DAC. A nice piece for the $$ though the GCD is levels above as it should be. I believe you've zeroed in on two companies with great reputations for offering products that swing way above their price points.

WarmColors

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2020, 01:44 am »
With you leaning toward the PS Audio and their full refund policy, it sounds like the Gaincell DAC would be the first choice. Then if you don't like it you can get a full refund and buy the Schiit.

I feel more confident with buying PSA. Thank you all for the comments.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2020, 02:03 am »
I haven't gone into any of PSA's separates yet, but I definitely love my Sprout 100, it's got me excited to eventually move into their other products in the future. :thumb:
I hope you enjoy your journey! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

WarmColors

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2020, 05:10 am »
I haven't gone into any of PSA's separates yet, but I definitely love my Sprout 100, it's got me excited to eventually move into their other products in the future. :thumb:
I hope you enjoy your journey! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I was originally considering purchasing the sprout. The more I thought about it I just chose to  go all in. Like some of you I have never personally listened to any of Danny's speakers. I will be pairing the studios and servo sub kit 1 with an Odyssey amp and the PSA Stellar Gain Cell.

I'm sure the studios sound pretty good with the sprout. If the speakers really do live up to all the comments and videos I've seen about them I knew I was going to eventually buy "better" equipment. So without listening to them I'm taking a leap of faith and hope I'm not disappointed. No I don't go through life with this motto, Im just doing the exception with this system. :P

iowa

• Brennan B2>TDAI 1120>Sierra 1> T-Zero(2)
« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2020, 03:41 pm »
I was originally considering purchasing the sprout. The more I thought about it I just chose to  go all in. Like some of you I have never personally listened to any of Danny's speakers. I will be pairing the studios and servo sub kit 1 with an Odyssey amp and the PSA Stellar Gain Cell.
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Odyssey amp / PSA Stellar Gain Cell DAC combination. I have an Odyssey Khartago on the way and am looking for a DAC and preamp. It would be cool if I could get both in one as long as it sounds “Stellar”

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2020, 04:04 pm »
My two cents? buy the one you LISTENED to and liked yourself. never buy some cra* someone else listened to and liked. never... repeat never.. never. did I mention never? paticularly true with a DAC..

WarmColors

« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2020, 04:10 pm »
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Odyssey amp / PSA Stellar Gain Cell DAC combination. I have an Odyssey Khartago on the way and am looking for a DAC and preamp. It would be cool if I could get both in one as long as it sounds “Stellar”

I am currently waiting word from Klaus when he ships out the amp. I believe this week would be the third week since i placed the order. It sounds like it takes seven weeks to build an amp as components are being shipped in etc. How long have you been waiting?

I will be pairing everything with NX Studios. What will you be using? It may take a few weeks for me to get everything shipped in. Danny is busy and back ordered according to his videos. I've tried calling Danny to place my order but it seems like he does not work on Saturdays, I will try and call during the weekday. I also need to buy my SGC

As you can see it will take me a while. Don't hold your breath for a speedy response. lol

iowa

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2020, 12:56 am »
Per Klaus, my Khartago will ship Tuesday. I will be using a Peachtree Decco 125 as a pre/DAC until I decide what to do. I’ve also been considering an MP701 tube pre and MP-D2 MK III Deluxe DAC from Musical Paradise. The MP stuff will be a few more $$, since I could buy the PS Audio on the used market.
Decisions, decisions. :dunno:

uncola

« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2020, 08:45 am »
I had the gain cell DAC.  I liked the analog parts, the preamp and headphone amp.  The DAC wasn't good enough for me to live with long term.  Just my subjective opinion

iowa

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2020, 04:03 pm »
I will be pairing everything with NX Studios. What will you be using?

Sorry, I missed this. I have a pair of Ascend Audio Sierra 1’s. Planning on the NRT upgrade and adding a Rythmik L12 sub.

WarmColors

« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2020, 11:23 pm »
Sorry, I missed this. I have a pair of Ascend Audio Sierra 1’s. Planning on the NRT upgrade and adding a Rythmik L12 sub.

Out of curiosity and to get an idea of when Klaus might ship my Amp. How many weeks ago did you place the order for your amp?

DonJoe

« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2020, 12:24 am »
Have you considered the Denafrips DAC Ayres 2 or Terminator?  That is what I am leaning towards at the moment.  As a side note, I have been using a Chord HUGO II, a trans-portable DAC, in my primary AYRE/Rhaido setup because it sounds really good despite clunky interface and odd form factor.  It replaced 2 Ps Audio DACs (nuwave/perfectwave)  I owned because it sounded better to my ears.  Now I am thinking thd Denafrips DAC may be my more permanant solution until I can afford the likes of DCS or some other unobtanium gear.  Plenty of reviews on this R2R dac if you care to check it out.

WarmColors

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2020, 12:47 am »
Have you considered the Denafrips DAC Ayres 2 or Terminator?  That is what I am leaning towards at the moment.  As a side note, I have been using a Chord HUGO II, a trans-portable DAC, in my primary AYRE/Rhaido setup because it sounds really good despite clunky interface and odd form factor.  It replaced 2 Ps Audio DACs (nuwave/perfectwave)  I owned because it sounded better to my ears.  Now I am thinking thd Denafrips DAC may be my more permanant solution until I can afford the likes of DCS or some other unobtanium gear.  Plenty of reviews on this R2R dac if you care to check it out.

I can research those dacs. Thing is that I've spent a lot of money right now. Wife would kick me out to the curve with my system.... I do wonder would my system sound better in the open air rather than a room? Lol