"Richard Jewel"

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
"Richard Jewel"
« on: 15 Aug 2020, 04:46 am »
For the younger members here or those of us old enough to be forgetful, Richard Jewel was the security guard at a concert at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta.  His spotting a suspicious backpack saved dozens, possibly hundreds of lives by alerting a bomb crew, and moving the crowd away from the device.  Within days he was suspect #1 of the FBI, and an eager reporter for an Atlanta paper named him in their front page.

This movie movingly shows the human carnage of a rush to judgement by both the press and the government that was damned and determined to bring a suspect to justice. The only problem was they got the wrong guy. 

The movie is well acted, sometime masterfully so, well directed by Clint Eastwood, and kept me involved for the duration. 
Highly recommended.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Mike B.

Re: "Richard Jewel"
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2020, 04:37 pm »
I thought it a excellent film as well. The actor who played Jewell was very good. One of Clint's best films.

Randy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2020, 05:53 pm »
The F.B.I. is not your or anybody else's friend.

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2020, 07:39 pm »

Don't thread-crap please.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2020, 09:53 pm »
Well, they did screw this up at first, really never tried to make it right, but... they eventually they got their man.  Personally, I have no issues with any of my taxes that go to fund the FBI as I think they are a well run, professional agency. 
And no, they aren't your friend.  That's not their job.

Now, back to the movie.  See it.  It's good. 
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2020, 04:42 pm by S Clark »

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2020, 12:51 am »
Don't thread-crap please.

It's a, if not the major, theme of the movie, along with the glory-seeking newspaper writer. 

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2020, 12:55 am »
Well, they did screw this up at first, really never tried to make it right, but... they eventually they got their man.  Personally, I have no issues with any of my taxes that go to fund the FBI as I think they are a well run, professional agency. 
And no, they aren't your friend.  That's not their job.

However, it would be better if they were under congress and not protecting anyone asking for "personal loyalty".

Now, back to the movie.  See it.  It's good.

Ah, except they went after that person who asked for "personal loyalty." Protecting him was the last thing on their mind, from Comey on down, and one of them just pleaded guilty as charged for altering a document.

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2020, 01:02 am »
No politics

dflee

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2020, 03:00 pm »
Thanks for bringing this subject up.
Reminded me to watch it.
Honestly put a tear in my eye.
Jewel is a prime example of how our society treats those that are different.
Movie did a good job of character presentation and actors were great.
Can't say I enjoyed it but glad I watched it.

Don

fredgarvin

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2020, 03:58 pm »
I thought Clint nailed it. I remember that debacle very well. I thought it was a weird  idea to release the film at happy time Christmas and I think that really hurt the boxoffice.