Tube Integrated inside a media cabinet, YAY or NAY?

TKonrad.NOLA

Tube Integrated inside a media cabinet, YAY or NAY?
« on: 13 Aug 2020, 06:16 pm »
Do I have to worry about heat?

twitch54

Re: Tube Integrated inside a media cabinet, YAY or NAY?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2020, 06:47 pm »
not if you keep the doors open during 'on' times, my little second system (Jolida, Rotel, Totem) in our living room

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2020, 11:04 pm »
Not if you live in a cold area as Canada or north Europe.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2020, 11:56 pm »
You could always install a small fan along with keeping the doors open.
NOLA kind of leads me to believe hot and muggy?

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2020, 01:30 am »
Keep some distance to the shelf above it and leave the cabinet door open while playing it and you should be fine. Feel the shelf above it after it's been running for an hour to see if it's getting hot enough to melt the laminate glue. If it's too hot then use a fan to force air movement. Those high performance 140mm or even 200mm computer cooling fans like Noctua are extremely quiet.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2020, 03:27 am »
Heat depends on how many and what types of tubes your amp has. :wink:

Jon L

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2020, 03:51 pm »
not if you keep the doors open during 'on' times, my little second system (Jolida, Rotel, Totem) in our living room

Forget the amp!  I would store those Balvenie's in a cooler place  :thumb:

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2020, 05:16 pm »

Yes, IMHO. I use small cooling fans with tube amps, and this with open architecture equipment racks..... not a cabinet. A lot of good information has already been posted, but as mentioned, a lot also depends on the tube amp in question. As an example, I could never put my 845 based SET in a cabinet. It creates more heat by far than any tube amp I've ever had. It has to be totally out in open space between the speakers on a dedicated base. Lower power tube amps could work in a cabinet, but I'd still recommend a cooling fan of some ilk. You really need a way to move the heat generated air out of the cabinet.

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2020, 10:28 pm »
Hey!

NAY! On that from me.

Even if heat is not an issue, I never like the idea of media cabinet with doors anyway. Although my tubed pre and CD player of which are pretty much a basic black boxes and not much to look at, I still like to see them. So, open frame audio racks for me.

Buddy

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2020, 04:29 am »
When I've used a tube amp in an open rack, on one of the lower shelves, it has gotten so hot that the component sitting on the rack above it has shut down due to overheating.   So even with the doors open, you still have 3 closed sides and I would think that could be a problem.  I wouldn't run any of my tube amps in one.

Photon46

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2020, 11:17 am »
I have a Decware Zen Torii in a similar wood cabinet with slotted doors. To avoid excessive heat buildup I have an 80mm computer fan hooked up to a variable dc power supply running @ 5 volts to clear heat and it works very well. The fan can be noisy running @ higher voltage, thus the variable power supply. It comes with a variety of connectors, one of which allows easy screw connection to the fan leads allowing a quick disconnect after you're done listening.

Bob Stark

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2020, 01:47 pm »
I had an Audible Illusions 2D tube preamp (4-6DJ8's) in an enclosed cabinet for over 15 years.  Only turned the system on when listening, but that was often.  Tubes got replaced once or twice during that time.  Mod Squad Quad 405 amp fan just luke warm about like a Class D amp.  After 28 years I needed to have the amp checked over and they replaced a few caps that were going bad.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2020, 03:18 pm »
Thanks everyone who has responded.  I just bought a new home and I really want the decor to be first rate.  I would prefer an open rack but  the thought of exposed wires and cables is something I just can't take at this stage of my life.

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2020, 05:48 pm »
I understand the new home no exposed wires desire. I recently moved into a brand new home and ordered all new furniture including two California walnut audio racks. They are gorgeous but the exposed wires spoil the look.

Even with an open rack the heat from my 85W tube amp was scary. I wanted to protect the wood and oil finish and help cool the amp. Amp sits on the bottom shelf so I installed a heat shield underneath the shelf above it.

I used 14" aluminum flashing and 1/8" Amarid felt insulation from McMaster-Carr. No R-factor was given but it is rated to 600 degrees. I used just a little high-temp automotive gasket sealant to tack the felt in place until I installed the shield with a few screws. Sealant was 99-cents at a dollar-type store and is rated to 500 degrees.

https://www.mcmaster.com/8796k54

OK, overkill on the temperature ratings but that was what was available and affordable. Bonus was the aluminum acted like a heat-sink and helped dissipate the heat. Before I used the shield, the wood on the shelf above the amp would get hot and store heat. The thin flashing has little mass to store heat but a large surface area to facilitate cooling. And that is what heat-sinks do, provide surface area. Because of the low placement, the shield is invisible unless I lay on the floor.

A 5" Axial fan finished the project. It is quiet in an open rack but may be noisy in an enclosed application. My "solution" may not work for the OP but maybe it will help others.

After all that work, my tube amp is on "summer vacation". It was 111 degrees here yesterday. :o A SS amp in service.

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2020, 06:20 pm »
Does anyone make racks with front doors and open backs? Or alternatively, you could cut a round hole and install/fit in a small computer fan.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2020, 06:39 pm »
A fan is one possible solution, but one moving enough air to make a difference might very well be audible.

Personally. I wouldn't do it. Tubes run hot enough as is, especially power tubes. Let 'em breathe.

Photon46

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2020, 06:56 pm »
Does anyone make racks with front doors and open backs? Or alternatively, you could cut a round hole and install/fit in a small computer fan.

I have our second system in the living room inside this one from Crate and Barrel. The alternating wood strips effectively hide electronics while allowing for air flow from the front. It has several wiring/vent holes already cut in the back and I used a hole saw as needed to add additional wiring routing. I have an 80mm computer venting in the compartment where the amp is located. The only issue is that you have to make sure your components will fit the width on the right side compartments.

jtcf

« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2020, 10:09 pm »
I have my amp inside of a media cabinet with glass doors on the front.I removed the back of the cabinet and open the doors up while it is on.It has several inches of free space on all sides and top.

jMelvin

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2020, 09:43 am »
Salamander's Synergy line is quite configurable (including doors and fans) if not a bit pricey, but last a lifetime. I've had mine for almost 20 years.

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug 2020, 11:14 am »
Check out AC Infinity for several fan ideas

https://www.acinfinity.com/

Lots of options
Shawn