OB Subs as monitor stands

Argoncat

OB Subs as monitor stands
« on: 11 Aug 2020, 01:26 pm »
With my NX-Studio monitors nearing completion I am turning my attention to the OB subs that will act as stands for the monitors.  I will be building a W-Frame design as they are the ideal height in my space to put the tweeter on axis for my seating position.  For those using OB subs as stands, do you physically attach the upper cabinet to the OB frame with a through bolt, let gravity do the work on spikes / point protectors or just stack-em and be done with it?   I will clad the OB frames in the same swirl mahogany as the studios so there won't be much friction between cabinets to rely on.  Any help or experiential feedback is appreciated.

PS: As somewhat of a newbie, I cannot say enough about Better Bond Heat-Lock from Veneer Supplies.  This build was my first exposure to veneer and the Heat-Lock product really made it easy.  I think I overheated the crotch region of the panel during my first lamination that required epoxy filling, but that was user error and not an issue for the remaining surfaces. 

\

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: OB Subs as monitor stands
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2020, 02:32 pm »
Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition.  It's the consummate audiophile guide to how speakers and subwoofers behave in-room.  In it you'll learn that monitors and subs function in different ways (rays and waves, above and below the transition frequency, roughly 250 Hz) and perform best at different locations in the room.  So can't recommend using subs as speaker stands for best acoustic results.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2020, 02:41 pm »
Man, that mahogany looks fantastic!
I'm probably gunna go with a red-stained quilted maple, but I imagine that setup will sound as fantastic as they look!

Looking forward to the results!  :thumb:

RonP

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2020, 03:23 pm »
Man, that mahogany looks fantastic!

just what I was thinking

mikeeastman

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2020, 04:11 pm »
If you put them on top of the subs you'll a very similar situation as my Super7s and my system sound great. I would use some kind of isolation between speakers and subs, mine produce some vibrations that go up to my baffle.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2020, 04:11 pm »
Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition.  It's the consummate audiophile guide to how speakers and subwoofers behave in-room.  In it you'll learn that monitors and subs function in different ways (rays and waves, above and below the transition frequency, roughly 250 Hz) and perform best at different locations in the room.  So can't recommend using subs as speaker stands for best acoustic results.

The dual open baffle servo subs are not as picky as sealed subs.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2020, 04:48 pm »

True for sealed subs but not for OB subs.  OB subs do best when placed very close to the main speakers. 

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2020, 05:43 pm »
just what I was thinking

x3.  Very nice...

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2020, 07:52 pm »
Have always used  a piece of Sorbathane between monito and sub when using  a setup like that.   Monitors will never move on that  stuff either.

Really  nice  veneer  man    :thumb:
jay

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2020, 08:00 pm »
Build H-frames and tilt your monitors, if necessary.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2020, 11:17 pm »
Wow, super nice looking work on the NX-Studio Monitors.

DrJ-10

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2020, 12:16 am »
I don't think that you need to make a firm decision now.  Put the monitors in their best position (experiment and measure!), and experiment with your subwoofer location.  It may be fine under the monitors, or you might find a different position suits them better.  Why not try it?