Old stereo collector...

Tony M

Old stereo collector...
« on: 9 Aug 2020, 08:25 pm »
Hi all.
New here and I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge to be able to repair crossovers like a pro.

I've collected stereo stuff for about 30 years. I'm now at the age where I want to fix some speakers I've had for many years. A tweeter might not work, or a woofer doesn't. The speakers them selves are ok. So some crossover repairs are needed. I don't know how to diagnose a bad capacitor just yet, but I'm very close. Looking forward to researching threads and also getting advice on this subject here. This is a ADS L810. One bottom woofer doesn't get a signal. It has to be one of 4 capacitors ( shoot, maybe more.) I believe.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Old stereo collector...
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2020, 09:02 pm »
Welcome Tony  :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2020, 09:42 pm »
Nice speaker Tony, and I hope you trace down the problem.  Welcome to AudioCircle

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2020, 02:07 am »
Inductance/Capacitance meters aren't that expensive.  The cheapy ones don't tell all, but should be fine for speakers...
https://www.amazon.com/KAIWEETS-Multimeter-Resistance-Capacitance-Temperature/dp/B07SHLS639/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3R56BELOFWPOR&dchild=1&keywords=inductance+capacitance+l%2Fc+meter&qid=1597025149&sprefix=inductance+ca%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-6
Also, check for bad solder joints (or just reflow them all). They are as common as bad capacitors. 
And welcome to Audio Circle!
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2020, 03:15 am by S Clark »

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2020, 04:09 am »
I used to own the L810's back when they were being made!

hdspeakerman

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2020, 05:20 am »
Change all the caps!

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2020, 12:56 pm »
Welcome!