Anthem units

eddysline

Anthem units
« on: 8 Aug 2020, 09:16 am »
Hi guys, what your thoughts on purchasing the cheaper Anthem MRX720, or the MRX1120 which is dearer but has a toroidal transformer, both have a great dac

WGH

Re: Anthem units
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2020, 07:30 pm »
Welcome to AC.

Your choice depends on your speakers and goals. If you have high end or revealing speakers then go with the MRX1120, you will hear the difference.

If you plan to keep adding speakers up to a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos then the MRX1120 has you covered. The MRX720 also does Atmos but you will have to bring your own 4 channel amp, which is not necessarily a bad thing but it does add more boxes and complicates life for people who are not electronically inclined.

I have an Anthem AVM60 which also has the toroidal transformer so I have a stack of amps out of necessity. I picked up a used Adcom GFA 7300 5-channel amp for the Atmos channels, 60 high current watts per channel which is more than enough. The home theater also has more headroom with separate amps for those important immersive events. 

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2020, 09:59 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2020, 01:01 am »
Welcome

eddysline

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2020, 12:36 pm »
Thank you for your advice.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2020, 04:04 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC eddysline   :thumb: