Introduction

jlr261

Introduction
« on: 5 Aug 2020, 09:24 pm »
Hello everyone,
My name is Jean-Louis and as our family prepares to move back to the U.S after a number of years abroad, I relish the idea of finally being in a position to devote more time and energy to the audio-video hobby that has been mine for a number of years, albeit at a novice level.
As we lived in a 220V/50Hz environment for years, I've decided to sell most of my existing equipment in order to start over from a clean sheet when we finally settle into our new home in the greater Washington D.C area.
Listening to music and watching good movies/documentaries are some of my favorite activities, all the more if the setup used allows for good sound quality! I am looking forward to learning from the much more experienced audiophiles and technicians that frequent these forums, with a view of putting together a decent setup that will provide my family and I years of listening/viewing pleasure.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2020, 09:36 pm »
Welcome Jean  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2020, 11:32 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jean-Louis   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2020, 12:09 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2020, 12:05 pm »
Welcome!

In building a new system, the first step I suggest is reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition as the consummate speaker/room guide for audiophiles.  The next consideration should be looking for a good room (not small/squarish, well insulated, and hopefully dedicated).  Then shop for speakers.  Power amps should simply serve the speakers (like Toole, recommend active speakers).