Re-Driver, sell, or live with them

BlackCat

« on: 18 Mar 2003, 02:58 pm »
I have a pair of Polk SDA-SRS2 speakers, purchased around 1988.  I've replaced them in my main system, they are sitting idle, taking up a lot of space in a spare room my wife wants back.  The cabinets are large, and the speakers consist of a 15 inch passive woofer, 4 6.5 inch midranges, and 2 one inch tweets in a strange rectangular holder.  There's some wierd Polk crossover in there somewhere (for the "Stereo Dimensional Array").  I've been thinking of replacing all the drivers with something more "modern", say teflon or aluminum, rewiring and replacing the x-overs.  

Any suggestions on what could go in there?  What factors do I have to account for with the cabinet?  Am I in way over my head here?  Blue book on them is under $500, but I think the walnut cabinets are worth more than that.

byteme

« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2003, 07:20 pm »
Blackcat,

I recently went through a similar ordeal, however, with my Polks being still used as mains in my system.  I have RTA11t's that I bought new in probably '88 as well.  I've always been really happy with them even though they've gotten some negative reviews.  Admittedly, they are REALLY bright - but I never really noticed.  I thought about just buying something new but someone on the polk audio website forum tried talking me into upgrading the tweeter to the one used in the RTA11tl version which was supposed to be much smoother and not as bright.  I talked to Polk and found out I'd have to change the crossovers as well.  I figured it was over at that point because I don't solder but, undaunted, the two of folks on that site offered to do it for me!  I got the schematics for the crossovers, ordered the parts and upgrades for everthing on the x-over and set to it.  Got someone local to help me and am really happy with the results.  With the upgraded tweets it ran about $250 and a 12 pack of Guiness (tuition for the solderer).  Results and parts list are here - http://webpages.charter.net/btreinen/speaker_tweak.htm

It was fun and the results were great.  I'd go for it!

markC

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2003, 08:57 pm »
Now that you've started DIY, there will be no stopping you! :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2003, 10:07 pm »
Brace them up and put a 15" Tempest in there for a pair of subs! :wink: