300B

Escott1377

300B
« on: 2 Aug 2020, 04:14 pm »
Steve Guttenburg on You Tube reviewed this yesterday.  Integrated tube amp below $1k.  I have no affiliation nor have I heard the product.  He usually has pretty good reviews so I thought I would share.

Jon L

Re: 300B
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2020, 08:20 pm »
It's interesting Steve Guttenberg also commented this amp was a better match with the lower sensitivity Triangle Genese Trio speakers than Klispch Cornwall IV. $770 (amp)+$1400 (speakers) for a good 300B SET setup can't be a bad thing.  Anybody recognize which amp topology this thing eh..emulates?  Looks to be 6SN7->300B with 5Z3 rectifier (5U4).  I don't see coupling caps, either. 

BoyuurangeA50IIItop by drjlo2, on Flickr

BoyuurangeA50III by drjlo2, on Flickr

TriangleGeneseTrio by drjlo2, on Flickr

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2020, 08:49 pm »
It's interesting Steve Guttenberg also commented this amp was a better match with the lower sensitivity Triangle Genese Trio speakers than Klispch Cornwall IV. $770 (amp)+$1400 (speakers) for a good 300B SET setup can't be a bad thing.  Anybody recognize which amp topology this thing eh..emulates?  Looks to be 6SN7->300B with 5Z3 rectifier (5U4).  I don't see coupling caps, either. 

Hey!

I watched the video and when I saw the title, my first thought was... of course is possible because it is from China. No, there's nothing wrong with that. Looks good inside, a good compromise between PCB and point to point there.

As for Triangle, perhaps because they are simpler 2 ways and maybe they have a more benign impedance, SET amps hate speaker with wild impedance.

Anyway, I think the coupling caps are those small blue boxes on the bottom of the 300B PCB boards. Maybe ERO or Vishay caps there. Likely the usual suspects .22uf or .47uf and look like there enough room to put in a better bigger caps there.

Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2020, 11:00 pm »
Good sound 300b tubes cost  more than this whole amp.

Escott1377

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2020, 11:41 pm »
They ship with Psavane and the circuit uses a tube rectifier as well.  Amazing that these options are available with tubes at that price point.

I have a pre that uses 300B’s and they did cost more than this piece :)

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2020, 12:28 am »
I say as long as it has good QC and is well tested, perhaps it might be a bargain.  I still have memories of older Far Eastern made stuff that sold affordably but electrically, they were crap shoot. 

I still have an Assemblage 300B Signature amp that had to be returned at least twice to Canada, because it was electrically unstable....Later we found that that some of the parts that were used on this assembled kits that were sold on a firesale after Sonic Frontiers and Assemblage went bust on early 2001, had unspeced parts which made it fail.  The fixes were affordable... 

Affordability does not exclusively mean low quality but as if is often the case, most of the time in life, you do get what you pay for. 

Jon L

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2020, 04:56 am »
  Anyway, I think the coupling caps are those small blue boxes on the bottom of the 300B PCB boards. Maybe ERO or Vishay caps there. Likely the usual suspects .22uf or .47uf and look like there enough room to put in a better bigger caps there.

Buddy

Aha, now I see the top of those blue caps.  If they are genuine ERO, that's decent-sounding, but I see a significant upgrade opportunity with some Jupiter copper foils or Miflex coppers in that coupling position between 6SN7 and 300B, which is crucial. 

Quickly looking around to see how much it would cost for me to buy those tubes right now, I'm looking at around $150-160 for the pair of Psvane 300B tubes, $25 for pair of Shuguang 6N8P (6SN7), $25 for 5Z3= $200 just for the included tubes out of the $770 price  :scratch:

Escott1377

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2020, 02:14 pm »
Aha, now I see the top of those blue caps.  If they are genuine ERO, that's decent-sounding, but I see a significant upgrade opportunity with some Jupiter copper foils or Miflex coppers in that coupling position between 6SN7 and 300B, which is crucial. 

Quickly looking around to see how much it would cost for me to buy those tubes right now, I'm looking at around $150-160 for the pair of Psvane 300B tubes, $25 for pair of Shuguang 6N8P (6SN7), $25 for 5Z3= $200 just for the included tubes out of the $770 price  :scratch:

The YouTube review mentioned that the piece could be purchased directly from China with a significant shipping charge.  There maybe a caveat in there if the tubes are included, that is just my speculation.  My speakers are not sensitive enough for such a low output so it is definitely a no go for me.

E55l2

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2020, 08:46 am »
The YouTube review mentioned that the piece could be purchased directly from China with a significant shipping charge.  There maybe a caveat in there if the tubes are included, that is just my speculation.  My speakers are not sensitive enough for such a low output so it is definitely a no go for me.

I just looked at AliExpess and the price there is lower then on Amazon and INCLUDING shipment!

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2020, 04:34 pm »
Beware when a reviewer comes right out and says a 300B amp sounds "grainy" multiple times in the review, not even using the secret reviewer code words to disguise it.

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2020, 04:12 am »

Hey!

Yeah, just tubes alone cost $200 if buy separately and the cost of shipping them to the US and etc. With all of this they have to cut cost somewhere. I hope is not the output transformers. A good 300B or any other SET amps for that matter can be expensive.

Anyway, without having heard this amp personally I can't say how it sound. But if it is stable and sound good like Steve says than it might be good for someone on tight budget looking to check out first SET assuming they can find a right speaker for it and might be worth upgrading like coupling caps as Jon mentioned.

Side note: As for Jupiter copper and Miflex copper caps. They are great caps but they do sound different, for me Miflex got a slight edge over the Jupiter. But at the end of the day I still prefer Jensen copper PIO in my amps, sadly no longer available  :cry:

Buddy