Deadalus Speakers with Low powered amps

A_shah

Deadalus Speakers with Low powered amps
« on: 28 Jul 2020, 05:59 am »
I am thinking of getting a Lower powered  2.3 watt amp SUE84UFO from Decware anyone having experience  with low powered amps with Daedalus Speakers ?
how do they sound ?

Asghar

Bones13

Re: Deadalus Speakers with Low powered amps
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2020, 10:37 am »
I don’t have anything that low, but the spec sheet for my Muse says 3-300 watts.

And, I’m sure the room, pre-amp, and listening preferences, will matter a lot.

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2020, 01:03 pm »
When I had my Muse Studios, I ran them for a while with a Pass XA30.8. Eventually I moved "up" to a 350.8. I preferred the sound of the 350 to the 30.

Now, that may have been because of differences in voicing. I never went out of Class A with either of them on the Studios.

With the 350.8, I felt the sound was more lively, less constrained, and more transparent. YMMV.

rodrigaj

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2020, 01:24 pm »
I power my Athena's with a scratch build Lance Cochrane push pull amp rated about 26 watts. I listen mostly to classical music in a large room that is open to other rooms. The Athena's have no problem with that but I would not want to go lower than 26 watts. With 70's rock music (mostly stuff like CSNY) the 26 watts begins to strain when played loudly.

Every other month I switch back to my Modwright KWA150SE and of course things change - the soundstage in particular is much larger.

As someone else commented, your taste in music, how loud you operate your system and room size are the key.

Bones13

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2020, 07:12 pm »
I have ~25 watt DIY Pass Speakers - I end up -0db to -25db with my pre-amp. So I would agree with the 25/26 watts as a good start. With the speakers purchased this year, it will be another few years to save up for a new amp. Of course considering the LTA Ultralinear (20watt), recommended by Lou, but I will also be looking class AB speakers with XLR inputs. I feel my Pre-Amp (Bricasti M12) works a bit better when run in differential mode. $ will depend on how the next few years go.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2020, 12:29 am »
My friend is getting a 12 watt SET for his horns that we are Very interested in hearing with the Apollo 11s.

I probably will swap in the Ulysses V2s from my home theatre to see how they respond.

We did run a  6 watt SET amp on the Ulysses
It sounded wonderful but became a little closed in on strong peaks at ~ 85 db crescendos.

one set of my tube amps at 40 watts have all the power and more and the dynamics are to kill for with my Apollo 11s

can't wait to try a 12 watt SET
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2020, 08:24 pm by audiotom »

Gopher

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2020, 06:46 am »
My item Apollos sounded nice with sub 50wpc tube amps, but I've gotta say they take came alive when given more power.  I have a large room ~29*26*8 and since throwing a stuff 200wpc at them they've really scaled up wonderfully.