iPhone as a digital transport

WillyP

iPhone as a digital transport
« on: 23 Jul 2020, 09:30 am »
Hi all,

What is the best way to connect an iPhone (or iPad) with Lightning output to a Bryston DAC, such as the BDA-3.14 or the SP3? I am asking this because of my interest in iDAGIO and Primephonic streaming services and they are not natively supported by Bryston.

I know that it is possible to use an Airplay emulator with the BDA-3.14 but there also other options. There is a connection kit for HDMI and perhaps also for connection to the SPDIF or USB ports.

Important for me are sound quality and ease of use. Video quality would be a nice bonus in case of an HDMI connection kit.

Who can tell me more?

WillyP

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: iPhone as a digital transport
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2020, 10:33 am »
Hi all,

What is the best way to connect an iPhone (or iPad) with Lightning output to a Bryston DAC, such as the BDA-3.14 or the SP3? I am asking this because of my interest in iDAGIO and Primephonic streaming services and they are not natively supported by Bryston.

I know that it is possible to use an Airplay emulator with the BDA-3.14 but there also other options. There is a connection kit for HDMI and perhaps also for connection to the SPDIF or USB ports.

Important for me are sound quality and ease of use. Video quality would be a nice bonus in case of an HDMI connection kit.

Who can tell me more?

WillyP

A lightning to usb adaptor should allow you to connect your iPhone to most USB DAC for playback.  However unless the iOS app and the service both offer/support 24-bit content you'd likely be better off using the airplay emulation.  iOS natively is limited to 16bit 48khz, the same resolution as airplay and offers the advantage of being wireless.  WhatHifi wrote a pretty detailed article about it here

https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0

Chris

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2020, 09:03 am »
A lightning to usb adaptor should allow you to connect your iPhone to most USB DAC for playback.  However unless the iOS app and the service both offer/support 24-bit content you'd likely be better off using the airplay emulation.  iOS natively is limited to 16bit 48khz, the same resolution as airplay and offers the advantage of being wireless.  WhatHifi wrote a pretty detailed article about it here

Chris
I’m pretty sure a standard lightning to USB cable won’t give you a digital output. For that you’d need an Apple camera kit. I’m not sure about newer nor current iPhones, but my iPhone SE (original version) needs a camera kit to use my Audioquest dragonfly.

The link didn’t say to use the camera kit, but the pics show it. It’s the short white cable with the larger than usual usb end.

WillyP

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2020, 06:38 pm »

Chris

Thanks, Chris, for your reply. A resolution of 16 bit / 48 kHz is fine for me. Which Airplay emulator would you advise, Shairport-Sync or Shairplay? I have no idea what the differences are between the two.

WillyP

WillyP

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2020, 06:46 pm »
I’m pretty sure a standard lightning to USB cable won’t give you a digital output. For that you’d need an Apple camera kit. I’m not sure about newer nor current iPhones, but my iPhone SE (original version) needs a camera kit to use my Audioquest dragonfly.

The link didn’t say to use the camera kit, but the pics show it. It’s the short white cable with the larger than usual usb end.

Thanks, Stu, for your reply. I was aware that a Camera Connection Kit would be necessary for the Audioquest Dragonfly. Sometimes there are bundles available. The Audioquest Dragonfly is Apple MFi-approved and so is the Bryston BDA-3.14 when Airplay is used, but I am not sure if this is the case when there is a direct connection between the iPhone and the Bryston DAC.

WillyP

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2020, 11:32 pm »
Thanks, Chris, for your reply. A resolution of 16 bit / 48 kHz is fine for me. Which Airplay emulator would you advise, Shairport-Sync or Shairplay? I have no idea what the differences are between the two.

WillyP

Shairport-sync

bokko

• My Photography
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2020, 03:12 pm »
Hey Willy P

If you have access to a Raspberry Pi Ropieee XL includes Shairport-sync.
Better experience  if you install Ropieee first, update it to latest version reboot as prompted then move slider over for XL upgrade rebooting as prompted.
Then access web interface and enable Shairport-sync with DAC connected to USB works for me. I am using a Pi4b.

Cheers

WillyP

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2020, 05:03 pm »
@Chris, thanks.

@Jerry, thanks for your suggestion. I already have a BDA-3.14 DAC / Streamer, with built-in Raspberry Pi 3 board, so I can use the Shairport-Sync option.

WillyP