Greetings and Salutations

jmcwilli76

Greetings and Salutations
« on: 23 Jul 2020, 03:18 am »
 :popcorn:
Found this forum while researching GR Research builds.

There is a ton of information here and it would be handy to be able to ask questions.

I currently use a pair of Cerwin Vega VS-120 for my main speakers.  They have always sounded really good to me but I'm wanting to upgrade to something better.

Jesse

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings and Salutations
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2020, 03:19 am »
Welcome Jesse  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2020, 07:15 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2020, 11:07 am »
Welcome Jesse!

Cerwin Vega has a reputation for quantity over quality of sound (high efficiency/high output versus high fidelity which is where Audio Circle members tend to focus on). 

Auditioning speakers is essential before purchase as is learning about what makes for a good loudspeaker.  Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" is the consummate audiophile guide for learning about speakers and how they react in-room.  But it's $60 and 500+ pages so not for the casual listener.  With closure of so many shops auditioning has gotten harder.  Suggest taking a variety of your favorite music with you, limit yourself to 3 or 4 speakers per day and take your time.  Pick out speakers first, then an amp that will serve the speakers well. 

In order to help select upgraded speakers we need to know what your listening habits are like.  What genre(s) of music do you listen to?  How loud do you listen (spl - sound pressure level meters and smartphone apps are available so you can provide real numbers in dB - decibels)?  What is you listening room like (room dimensions, insulation, treatments, dedicated or not)?  Any WAF - wife acceptance factors to consider?  And of course what is your budget?