building my own Turntable

blindman5

building my own Turntable
« on: 23 Jul 2020, 02:37 am »
 :)Hi all, It's been a long time since I really posted anything. I suffered a major hearing loss due to an infection in 2012, and pretty much put all thoughts of audio out of my mind. Well, I decided that since with a little help, I was able to build the SKA amp, I decided in the last year to build my own TT. Anyhow, I'm back, and since I'm on a fixed income, I decided to build my own TT. The plinth I bought used, but you can see them all over Ebay from this guy in Russia. This one is Teak. The motor is the Rega Upgrade Kit. The subplatter and bearing is from Accoustand Audio out of England. The bearing is a Peak type plastic, and the sub just rides on a slight peak in the middle of the bearing housing. No balls to mess with. The platter is from SRM-tech. The tonearm is one that I should have in a few weeks. It is made by a guy out of Vietnam. Here's the Installation video.

https://youtu.be/uLYjcKxnBLI

Since I'm getting back in the game again after a ten year absence, I still have the SKA amp from Australia, Greg Ball. I also still have the 2nd generation of the Prometheus TVC which when it came out was the rave on Audio Circle. My new speakers are the Elac Debut V2 6.2 and aren't broken in yet. I got one of the Ortophone Red demo cartridge from Audio Advisor. I paid $77 for it. Oh, almost forgot, the Phono pre is a Vincent Pho8, $229 Silver Demo from Audio Advisor. Nice people to deal with. I picked up a couple pair of Krupz RCAs from Knukonceptz. They're ok for now. Speaker wire is the 12 gauge cord wire from Knukonceptz. . Well that's my system and the makings of the turntable for now. The arm will come with a cheap Chinese cartridge for testing purposes. We'll see how it works. I still have sitting in a drawer somewheres a Micro Accoustics 2002e. I ought to find it and see if the cantalever is still ok. The only gripe I had with that cartridge is that it always seemed that most of the time records were quite noisy. When I got my Denon 103, those supposed noisy records were pretty quiet.

So, that's it for now

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: building my own Turntable
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2020, 12:22 pm »
Sounds like an awesome build, good luck with it.

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
Re: building my own Turntable
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2020, 12:37 pm »
That's really cool.  Nice job! I've had the idea of building a TT too.  Still gathering information and knowledge before I commit any resources.