Introducing myself

Stargate47

Introducing myself
« on: 22 Jul 2020, 01:36 pm »
Hello Everyone,
I started my love affair with stereo back in the 60’s building Knight and Heath kits. It then grew into assembling a mid fi Pioneer system, collecting various amps, receivers and speakers along the way and now listening to a McIntosh system of components which I am very content with. Always looking to improve the sound by upgrading speakers. I am looking for a set of medium towers with great midrange and imaging from the likes of Spendor, Proac, or Salk to employ into my office of 12 X 14. 
Cheers,
Joe

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2020, 04:56 pm »
Welcome Joe  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2020, 06:44 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2020, 08:56 pm »
Welcome!

A 12ft x 14ft office (with presumed desk in the middle of the room so your back isn't to the middle of the room) is tight for floor standing speakers (expect excessive bass reinforcement from being placed too close to adjacent walls) and getting them to match tweeter height to your seated ear height could be tricky.  If the desk is full sized (30 inches by 60 inches) recommend monitors that can sit on the desk or more easily go on stands near to the walls.  Look for flat frequency response down to say ~50 Hz and good controlled directivity (Amphion, Buchardt, etc.).  Suggest placing them on Iso-stands to minimize desk top reflections.  Bass should be sufficient with monitors, if not a subwoofer can always be added. 

Regardless make sure the mid/woofer and tweeters are spaced close together.  Have you considered active monitors that typically have bass and treble controls to address those close walls/desktop reflection such as Genelec, JBL, Kali, Neumann, etc.)? 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2020, 09:04 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Joe   :thumb: