Introducing myself

blindman5

Introducing myself
« on: 21 Jul 2020, 04:22 am »
Hi All, I ran in to some problems logging in. It wanted me to verify my log in ID. The short story is it didn't recognize my email address. So I just simply re-registered. My name is Ray Bronk, going by the handle of blindman5. The reason for that is, ... I'm a person who is totally blind.

It all started in my Senior year in High School, back in '72. I heard my friend's JBl 100's with the Berwin room EQ and noise reduction system. I was hooked. Then I bought from a friend his Dyna70, and a Pat3 and Pat4. I traded them for a Marance 1060. Well, then after selling my little Advents and my Marance 1060, I got a Mac MA6100 Integrated and a MR74 tuner, along with a pair of Mac Ml1C speakers. I have since then after my integrated and tuner were stolen twice, moved on to other gear. Stax preamp, Mitsubichi amp, AGI preamp, two duals, two Thorens tables, even the Marance turntable. I went through a lot of tables, and arms. I still have a Micro Acoustics 202E sitting somewheres in a drawer. I got out of Audio pretty much after I got married. That seems to change your priorities you know.

In 2009, I got an ear infection, and lost most of my hearing. So now I have to wear two Cochlear BAHA (bone anchored Hearing Aids)

At the time, 6 years ago, I was living in Tucson. My wife had just passed away, and a year later, I moved to stay with some friends here in a small town in Iowa. There ain't no good stereo stores up here. I kinda miss those stores. In the late '70's through the early '90's I used to hang around Dimmensions In Stereo in Torrance California. I also used to hang around a store in Santa Ana, CA, where Mike Mofett with his modified Dynas.

Since I am on a fixed income, recently, I decided to attempt to put together my own Turntable. The tonearm is a linear tracking arm from a guy out of Vietnam. It should be here in a few weeks. I'd send you guys the installation video, but I don't remember how to do that. I have currently the SKA amp from Greg Ball out of Australia. I still have the 2nd generation of the Prometheus TVC. I just picked up from Audio Advisor, a demo of the Vincent Pho 8 phono preamp, and the demo Ortophone Red cartridge. i also got off from Amazon a pair of Elac Debut v2 6.2 speakers. It's a nice modest system. I gave all my records away, so now I have to start all over again.

Over the years, I've heard some pretty good stuff. I've managed to meet and he John Bedini used to come to this place where I was living. A little story here. He built a little 10 watt amp using only Diodes, no transistors in the circuit. He said he built it just for fun, and to see if it could be done. The sound I recall was amazing. I had never heard bass that clean before. Anyhow, it is totally amazing how far speaker technology has gone. For a few hundred bucks, you can buy a pair of speakers that 15 years ago, would have cost you at least twice the money. My Elacs are still breaking in. So I'm not gonna comment on their sound yet.

Anyway, that's my system and this is me. I'll be 68 in less than a month. And from what I am reading around the net, it's sure good to see people a lot younger than me getting in to this hobby. Well, I hope this is approved. Talk to you all later.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2020, 04:43 am »
Welcome aboard Ray  :thumb:
It wanted me to verify my log in ID.
It looks like you wrong typed your user name.
I'd send you guys the installation video, but I don't remember how to do that.
You should just post the video address only.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2020, 11:40 am »
Welcome!

Thanks for the detailed introduction.  Also graduated high school in the 70's and had a McIntosh 6100 (well built but the Pioneer 626 receiver I sold to buy it sounded way better).  And I had a Thorens turntable too, but after literally dropping it 5 feet onto a concrete slab floor in the mid 80's went the digital route and never looked back.  Now listen exclusively to ripped/streamed sources. 

Sorry to read of your hearing loss and your wife's passing.  How did your hearing change after receiving the implants?

Yep, outside of Chicago good audio shops are rare in the Midwest.

By 2005 was finally able to develop a properly designed, well insulated listening room and commissioned speakers which I'm still using. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2020, 12:06 pm »
Welcome!  I graduated in 1970 (when I was 5 years old of course :green:)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2020, 01:56 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Ray   :thumb:  The Marantz 1060 was a sweet little unit. One of my first components, and wish I still had it. I do still have the Advent Utilities that were in my first system.  8)

blindman5

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2020, 07:42 am »
Hi, Well, it had been awhile since I last posted. So I forgot my format on the user name, as well as the password. When I put in for the verification, it sent one, but I think my original email address, it never got there. So John, you can either bring the two accounts together with the updated User Name and Password, or just delete the old account. There was no intention of any form of deception.

Ok, now that's out of the way, i don't have the full implants. When an ENT looks at my ears, he doesn't see flat eardrums. He sees them in sorta like a cone shape with scar tissue all around them. It's kinda weird, but this syndrome is more common than you might think. So now, here's the address for the installation of the tonearm. He says it only takes about 15 minutes to install it on the table. We'll see.

https://youtu.be/uLYjcKxnBLI

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2020, 04:55 pm »
Hi Ray,
I appreciated your efforts to be a member,
the admin already know about your accounts.
Regards

blindman5

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2020, 12:50 am »
Hi all, Firstly, thanks for the info Moderator. Secondly, my friend who bought the 1060 had some problems with it later. Seems the output transistors died. Unfortunately, there was no replacement for them. So he ended up ditching the unit. So did anyone take a look at the tonearm's video I sent? I went on blind faith, no pun intended, on this arm. I knew somehow this could be done. I almost at the time bought a Ravco ST4, built like a tinker toy. It too had some issues like the belt being to loose, and the low torque motor. I think some of the problems people had with that table might have been leveling issues. Oh well, they don't seem to exist any more. I've seen a few Ravco/Harmon Carden ST7 and 8's out there for sell. Anyhow, on the TT scene, if someone has a Rega table, and you need help the importers Sound Organization is a good company to deal with. I had some issues with the Rega motor, where the 3 wires coming from the board to the motor would just break off at the motor or board. So the company has been really great at helping me resolve this issue. I should have the third motor replacement in a day or so. Well, that's the news here.  :)

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2020, 01:04 am »
About the transistor amp, you could look at International Rectifiers, as a manufacturer they have old stock spare parts and even substitutions compatible, you will have to send email to them.
http://www.irf.com/product/_/N~1njci1

You also could contact at Mouser or Digikey shops:
https://www.digikey.com/

https://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Transistors/_/N-ax1rpZ1yic9vg?Keyword=Transistors&FS=True

I have see the video you posted and liked the Teflon parts but Iam not a expert in Vinyl, I suggest you post a thread ask help in the Vinyl Circle:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=32.0

blindman5

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2020, 02:44 am »
Thanks for the info. I think this was back in the late .70's So all this good stuff wasn't really available yet. The shop where he took it told him those transistors were odd, but that there wasn't any subs. So all he could do was to just throw it away.

frankdoan

• audiohobby
« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2020, 05:51 pm »
Hello everyone I just joined here. I want to learn more about Diy speaker building and upgrading my current speakers to maximize there performance. Found this site through New Record Day youtube channel watching some Danny Richie vids. I Currently have some Tannoy speakers , accuphase Monoblocks  So yeah that's my intro, I'm living in Union city California, 

Thanks, Frank 

frankdoan

• audiohobby
« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2020, 06:01 pm »
thanks