X-SLS or AV3?

russellberg

X-SLS or AV3?
« on: 13 Jul 2020, 05:33 am »
I am looking to build a smallish floor stander and I am stuck between these two models.  I like the idea of an MTM design but I am wondering if the X-SLS will outperform it.  Does the X-SLS improve on the bass response of the X-LS?  How does it compare to the AV3?  The purpose of these speakers would be primarily two channel music with a sub to support bass response.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: X-SLS or AV3?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2020, 04:07 pm »
I've actually been curious about the a floor standing version of MTM Encore since it has the Encore driver over the AV3 driver, I imagine they do exist, but aren't currently on the site?

I imagine is requires the same basic cabinet plans, but a different cutout for the tweeter?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2020, 07:45 pm »
The X-MTM Encore is the X-CS Encore built into a floorstanding cabinet.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2020, 08:00 pm »
Yes, the SLS has a larger cabinet and will go lower than the X-LS. 

I haven’t heard the AV series speakers but they use smaller woofers which makes for slimmer towers.  I’m sure being Danny’s design they’ll sound fine.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2020, 08:22 pm »
Ahh okay, that's good to know!

russellberg

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2020, 05:49 am »

I can't find either of those on the GR website.  I think that I would most like an MTM that uses the M-165 driver.  That's what the X-MTM was, right?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2020, 02:28 pm »
They aren't on the site at the moment, but will be once the new site is completed, you can still call or email Danny to ask for prices/availability.

russellberg

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2020, 09:37 pm »
I decided on the X-SLS.  The X-MTM were just too big for the spot that I needed them and with the reports of how good these X-SLS's sound with the cross over upgrades I think they will just what I am looking for.  I am planning to build the box out of MDF but then I want to clad it in ½" curly maple.  I did something similar with my sub and it helped to deaden the whole thing.  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170554.msg1805940#msg1805940   Anyway, I ordered it this morning and I already got a shipping notification!  Thanks Danny!