X-Statik Build

Carlos74

X-Statik Build
« on: 9 Jul 2020, 02:41 pm »
Hello Circle, hope everyone's doing well. Just posting to share a few pictures of my X-Statik build progress. Living in a very humid country, I decided to use a green MDF that is more resistant to humidity and is a little bit more rigid, for those of you wondering why the MDF is green.  Just finished the first black coat, now will sand and give it a second coat. Very happy with how it's turning out!!!

Will continue posting until finished.

Thank you, stay safe!!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: X-Statik Build
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2020, 02:44 pm »
Those are looking incredible already!
And that's interesting you've found such a unique MDF to work with, and it looks like its really clean to work with!

I'm excited to hear about your experience once their finished! :thumb:

RonP

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2020, 02:58 pm »
That piano finish is awesome!

hawkeyejw

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2020, 03:06 pm »
Man those look gorgeous, what kind of paint did you spray?

tomlinmgt

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2020, 03:22 pm »
That shop.  :drool:

jcsperson

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2020, 03:47 pm »
And that's interesting you've found such a unique MDF to work with, and it looks like its really clean to work with!

For some reason, pretty much all we can get here are various grades of the brown MDF. Overseas they have a variety of different MDFs, some water resistant and come in a variety of colors.

There is a company here in NC called Forescolor that has some interesting stuff, but it's imported from S. Korea and is pretty expensive at about $100 a sheet.

It's both harder and lighter than brown MDF. The color goes all the way though, so you could apply a clear finish. I'm not a big fan of MDF, but I may pick up a sheet of this to play with.

Carlos74

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2020, 03:59 pm »
The paint used is high gloss Polyeurathane

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2020, 04:10 pm »
For some reason, pretty much all we can get here are various grades of the brown MDF. Overseas they have a variety of different MDFs, some water resistant and come in a variety of colors.

Man, that's wildly expensive, and shipping from NC would only double that cost for me. That said, living in FL, i can definitely appreciate that there are moisture resistant varieties available, and i do wish similar products were more readily available.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2020, 04:32 pm »
Man, that's wildly expensive, and shipping from NC would only double that cost for me. That said, living in FL, i can definitely appreciate that there are moisture resistant varieties available, and i do wish similar products were more readily available.

There probably are, they just won’t be in big box stores. There is MDF that is used of outdoor signs that is basically waterproof.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2020, 05:12 pm »

AlexH

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2020, 06:26 pm »
Love the finish. Excellent work.

Carlos74

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:15 pm »
Thank you :D Can't wait to hear them!!

Creative cut designs

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2020, 10:53 pm »
They look great!

petemoss

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2020, 02:33 am »
can you review the paint process you used...ie how you got that finish?

Carlos74

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2020, 04:58 pm »
Sure.  We first painted with a base primer to seal properly the MDF. Then we used putty to fill in the imperfections, sanded it down, gave it a second coat, putty again and sanded it down again. Then we applied an automotive putty (that's what its called here) to correct all the imperfections and joints properly. This was sanded down and reapplied until it looked like a sealed piece of plastic, then we gave it the first coat of the black polyurethane paint. It will be sanded down again for any imperfections, and if all is well, will proceed to give it the last coat of polyurethane.

Let's see how they turn out!!

devious17

• Dont drive faster than your guardian angel.
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2020, 01:17 pm »
That's a sleek cabinet. Nice!

Nick77

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2020, 03:04 pm »
Amazing work, congratulations!  :thumb:

russellberg

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jul 2020, 04:53 am »
A good finish always requires dedication and you sir, are demonstrating that.

Carlos74

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jul 2020, 12:47 am »
Tell me about it!!! We messed up the second, and third coat of paint, now we have to sand, putty, sand down again until it looks correct again so we can do the final coat. Temperature, ambient dust, humidity really impacts the finish. :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: Frustrating and rewarding at the same time.

Hope to get it done right this week!!

Jmitchell3

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2020, 03:37 am »
Ive had the av123 set for a few weeks now. These are really $3k-$4k speakers maybe more. They are an incredible value. Your set with that piano finish look amazing and will sound amazing also. Congrats on those, they are fantastic!