Hello from California, USA.

fcel

Hello from California, USA.
« on: 6 Jul 2020, 11:43 pm »
I've recently heard so much about open baffle subwoofer.  Hope to built one soon with help from this forum.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from California, USA.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:09 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
You may like visit the Open Baffle Circle:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0

diyman

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:25 am »
I've recently heard so much about open baffle subwoofer.  Hope to built one soon with help from this forum.

Northern or Southern?

fcel

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2020, 01:17 am »
Southern Calif.

diyman

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2020, 05:36 am »
Southern Calif.

I've been trying to organize an audio interest group in SoCal for quite a while.   The current Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society is focused entirely on people with a lot of money, and they have no interest whatsoever in DIYers.  Please let me know if you have any interest and we can discuss it further off line.  Thanks.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:34 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2020, 07:31 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC fcel   :thumb:

fcel

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2020, 11:55 am »
diyman: in regards to joining an audio interest group, I think for now, I'll start slow and needed to do a lot of reading first.  Thanks.

diyman

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2020, 04:14 am »
diyman: in regards to joining an audio interest group, I think for now, I'll start slow and needed to do a lot of reading first.  Thanks.

It seems like that is the general feeling here in SoCal.  There are several groups in the Bay Area, but little interest around here.

hallock01

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2020, 01:31 pm »
Dear So Cal Bro,

I'm in So Cal also....seems like Audiophile is a condition few have in these parts....when I tell my buddies about my system their eyes just glaze over....mention the cost of my speakers and they think I'm a crazy idiot....
(and that's the 1/2 off used price to boot!!!!)....about this time they gleefully describe their new $199.99 COSTCO sound bar with 8" sub....do I tell my friend I spent the same amount on my power cord? uuuhhhh....NO.....I tell my buddy.."I bet your new sound bar and 8" sub sounds great"....remember "you have to play with the subs position for optimal bass"....I can't help it....gotta  help him anyway....

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2020, 04:15 pm »
At this point in life having seen a lot of trickery in this crazy hobby since the1970s yours friends may be right, they see a great image 40'' TV cost $400 or less and a hi-end speakers cost $10K or $20K or even more and we yet have to accept setbacks as xovers, tweeters and sound emission only to front.
I will no blame these people, ultimately they are happier than us.

diyman

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2020, 06:43 pm »
Dear So Cal Bro,

I'm in So Cal also....seems like Audiophile is a condition few have in these parts....when I tell my buddies about my system their eyes just glaze over....mention the cost of my speakers and they think I'm a crazy idiot....
(and that's the 1/2 off used price to boot!!!!)....about this time they gleefully describe their new $199.99 COSTCO sound bar with 8" sub....do I tell my friend I spent the same amount on my power cord? uuuhhhh....NO.....I tell my buddy.."I bet your new sound bar and 8" sub sounds great"....remember "you have to play with the subs position for optimal bass"....I can't help it....gotta  help him anyway....

I attribute a lot of this to what I call the "Sonos Syndrome".  Unfortunately, Sonos marketing has done such a good job of convincing people that their speakers sound great, even though they really sound like crap, that the new standard for good sound quality among the populous is at that very low level.

What's interesting though is why there is such a big difference between SoCal and NoCal.  There are several audio clubs, shows, etc., in the Bay Area that address the needs of modest level audiophiles, but nothing like it here.  The only thing in SoCal is the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society, which is fine if you are a millionaire and enjoy spending $20,000 on cables so that you can brag about it to your friends.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2020, 08:09 pm by diyman »

hallock01

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2020, 06:43 pm »
I've been trying to organize an audio interest group in SoCal for quite a while.   The current Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society is focused entirely on people with a lot of money, and they have no interest whatsoever in DIYers.  Please let me know if you have any interest and we can discuss it further off line.  Thanks.

I just bought a recap kit for my Yamaha MX 1000u amplifier.....now comes the soldering....so if you can help with advice on tools and technique ... this could be our start in So Cal...Scott

diyman

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2020, 09:35 pm »
I just bought a recap kit for my Yamaha MX 1000u amplifier.....now comes the soldering....so if you can help with advice on tools and technique ... this could be our start in So Cal...Scott

I assume you've already watched some of the YouTube videos on how to work on this amplifier.   Looks like a lot of work to do the disassembly just to get to the caps.

As far as soldering and de-soldering is concerned,  the best I can suggest is to have a lot of practice.  It is a learned skill and I would not recommend doing anything to the amplifier without first developing it.  Particularly when working on PCB traces.  If you don't have enough heat you can't melt the solder, and if you have too much you might lift the copper trace from the board.

Suggest you invest in a good quality soldering station with adjustable temperature.  Probably will cost $50 to $100. A cheap iron won't serve you well.  You'll also need a small tip to work on PCBs.

And you'll need a solder sucker to remove the existing solder.   Alternatively, you can use some solder removal braid instead of the solder sucker.  That's what I prefer, but it can be tricky and lift up the trace if you don't apply heat exactly right.

You also have to learn how to recognize the difference between a proper solder joint and what is referred to as a cold solder joint.  Any of those need to be corrected before you're finished.

Bottom line is that you need to practice a lot first.  If you have another older piece of similar electronic gear with a PCB that you don't care about, then you might want to practice replacing similar components in it first.  Take some of the small caps out and buy some cheap ones to put back in.  Do it until you get really good at it and then tackle the Yamaha.