Advice on speakers and system integration for stereo and HT

bundee1

Hi guys,
Got my small tax return and wifey says she wants to go back to HT in the living room. Right now I have JM Labs Chorus 706 (original not s) hooked up to a Monarchy Audio SM70Pro and a Music Hall cd25. Very smooth powerful sound.
I started off buying a Marantz SR6400 100wpc receiver thinking it would be enough for music but I have to crank it up about 75% of the way to get the same loudness I get with my 25wpc Monarchy. No bass at all.
I know this Marantz is better than most of the stuff at the same price range so I want to keep it so Ive decided to keep both systems and run them side by side.

I will keep my 2 channel set up and I want to get a small satellite sub speaker package to run with the Marantz. I want to keep it around $400 just so I can get a good HT experience. My room is 12'x18' and I will place the satellites on my speakers or on small stands on either side of the TV.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mcgsxr

« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2005, 12:10 pm »
If you can find an Energy Take 5.1 or 5.2 system, have a listen to that - decent little kit - my brother uses one with his Yamaha receiver and it does a credible job, for the dough.

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2005, 12:29 pm »
Are you looking for two speakers and one sub?
try www.av123.com

bundee1

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2005, 03:00 pm »
I originally wanted a 5.1 system using my Chorus' as fronts and some JM Labs Sibs speakers as rears, but when I heard the Chorus with the Marantz I was disappointed. Im keeping the amp and the receiver but Ill use them seperately in the same room.

I was looking at the Rocket Tykes and the Athena Micra. The Tykes are $399 and the Micras are $100 less.

Anyone own these and care to comment on their sound with movies and music? (Ive done multiple searches here and came up with a couple of posts)