A couple of questions

pugs

A couple of questions
« on: 24 Feb 2005, 09:26 pm »
Is a 3 channel fet valve amp available for home theatre/2ch use?  If not is a monoblock fet valve amp available to drive a center channel?  Besides power, are there any differences between the 350 and 550 versions?

JoshK

A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2005, 12:03 am »
I think FVA has said that the 350&550 are identical except for power supply (550 bigger) which will allow the 550 more total headroom, but I don't you'd ever need it unless your speakers are really inefficient.

avahifi

A couple of questions
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2005, 08:31 pm »
Sorry, no three channel versions of the Fet Valve amplifiers are available.  The hybrid circuits and necessary power suppy takes up way too much real estate to try and fit three "real" high powered channels in one package.

Its easy to do that if you don't mind equipment build with circuits that are refugees from car radios or with Class D switching amp circuits. They are just fine until your fillings drop out and your cats and dogs run away.

The Fet Valve 350EXR and 550EXR are identical in sonic performance up to the power limitations of the 350EXR (nearly 200 watts per channel).

Frank Van Alstine

pugs

A couple of questions
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2005, 08:51 pm »
How about a matching monoblock version?

avahifi

Premium monoblock version.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2005, 03:33 pm »
This is something we have been thinking about.

Would there be any interest in a "super" Fet Valve mono amplifier with significantly upgraded styling, premium parts quality, and performance?

In a monoblock configuration in the same size chassis, we would have room for a complete high speed high current analog regulated output supply as well as the present regulated multistage small signal supplies.  All the output current passes thru the power supply too, so a regulated output supply needs just as much current capacity as the output stage does.  It would require two heat sink sections for the supply, and two more for the audio section.

The sonic advantages of course would be absolute channel isolation, more power yet, and a musical persentation out of a dead quiet "black velvet" background.  Perhaps even more.

The cost each would be about the same as a current stereo Fet Valve 550EXR, or even more, depending upon just how much you would want to pay for ultra precision parts.

I would like more feedback on this concept please.

Frank Van Alstine

pugs

A couple of questions
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2005, 04:16 pm »
Personally, I'm just interested in a standard monoblock version that I can use to power my center channel.  Is that possible?

WEEZ

A couple of questions
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2005, 05:18 pm »
Frank,

Didn't you use to offer a mono Omegastar in the SL chassis? Seems to me it was 90w which should be more than enough for center channel and surround duties.

Don't suppose you could cram the FET/Valve circuits in that chassis, though.

Mono amps do have the advantages you mentioned, however. The "black velvet" background being the more important one for audio, IMHO.

Now some great all tube mono's would be interesting.... :idea:

best,

WEEZ

aln

Monoblock EXR
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2005, 01:13 pm »
I would be very happy with a monoblock exr-cost no object!  Just have two sets of binding posts for bi-wiring.  It's time for a statement product!