Hires with Mac Mini

trianglezerius

Hires with Mac Mini
« on: 8 Jun 2020, 02:26 pm »
Morning,

how can i do hires with my 2010.5 Mac Mini? I wanna be able to play Amazon Music HD in hires?

THX

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
Re: Hires with Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2020, 09:22 am »
Assuming your DAC can play highres, go into the audio midi settinges and choose the desired bit depth and sample rate
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/OSX/AudioMidi.htm

avta

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2020, 01:40 pm »
You didn't mention what software player you are going to use. My suggestions based on using a Mac Mini myself are Vox for a free player and Audirvana for a paid player. There are 2 places to check when you are playing files. One, as mentioned, is the Audio Midi application found in the Utilities Folder. The other is the Speaker settings found in the System Preferences.

trianglezerius

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2020, 05:42 pm »
I use.10.9.5. I just want to stream Amazon Music in HD so any ideas would helpful?

Vincent Kars

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2020, 06:29 pm »
Amazon HD is simply CD quality
Set the bit depth to the max your audio dedvice supports and the sample rate to 44.1 kHz

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2020, 06:39 pm »
Amazon HD is simply CD quality
Set the bit depth to the max your audio dedvice supports and the sample rate to 44.1 kHz

Amazon says they have Ultra HD quality, Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, with sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps. For how much of their catalog, who knows?

https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=14070322011&ref=dmm_AMHDEDU_banner_UNREC

avta

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2020, 06:48 pm »
If you connect your dac to your computer via usb you should be able to play Amazon Music. Tell us more about your setup for example are you using a dac, integrated amp, external speakers etc.

trianglezerius

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2020, 07:25 pm »
Amazon Music HD plays fine in cd quality 16/48 i want to try there Ultra HD.

My system is:

Nuprime DAC 9 (used as a pre also)

Jaton amp

Elac DBR62s

MJ Acoustics REF 100 MKII sub

Yamaha Aventage BDP 1060

and a PI Audio Group uberbuss

avta

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2020, 07:35 pm »
Try connecting a USB cable from your Mac to the DAC 9. Open Audio Midi in Utilities folder in Applications and see if the DAC 9 shows up after both computer and DAC are on. If so select it. Do the same in the Speaker section of System Preferences. Open Amazon Music app and play something. Any luck?

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2020, 10:26 pm »
How are you planning to connect the DAC? From the online manual it is not obvious that the USB output from a Mac is supported. You might need to connect the Mac Mini to the Nuprime DAC using a toslink cable connected from the Mac Mini headphone/optical digital-out port to to the optical input on the DAC.

Then you follow the instructions below and select Built-in Output as well as the desired 24 bit sample rate. My iMac only goes up to 96.0 Khz. If your DAC is happy with what the Mac is sending you should hear music coming out of your system when you hit play on the Amazon Music app that you have installed on your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202730
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2020, 12:16 am by Doublej »

trianglezerius

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2020, 12:17 pm »
I think it has to do with the OS.

avta

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2020, 02:55 pm »
I've never had a problem using usb out from Mac Mini's. I've had 3 of them.

trianglezerius

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2020, 03:09 pm »
Amazon Music HD Plays fine through USB its only coming through at 16/48 not 24/96 or higher is were it confuses me. Have you been able to play HiRes through you Mac Mini?

avta

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2020, 03:20 pm »
You can play up to 24/96 files via Mac OS by adjusting the Audio Midi settings to that setting. You may have to watch that the setting doesn't default back to 16/44 when you change files to play. I'm not familiar with Amazon Music to know if it will allow you to keep the Audio Midi settings you choose or not. Some players such as Audirvana keep a fixed setting as we're discussing according to your choice.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2020, 11:11 pm »
How can one tell the resolution of a particular track on Amazon Music?