Bryston SC4 Speaker Cables Length

Barilko

Bryston SC4 Speaker Cables Length
« on: 5 Jun 2020, 02:42 am »
Hey everyone

i would like to ask if anyone could check in with an opinion on the following

and i am not trying to stir any pot here

I'm really looking for honest replies especially ones garnered from experience with these cables

do ya think there is any significant degration of the sound if i was to move backwards from  6 feet SC4  to a set that would be 3 meters long thus closer to 10 feet

I'm guessing some might say yes there is but not that it would really be audible ...

I'm considering it as i would move one set of wires to my surround system while using the other on my 2 channel Bryston

or should i hold out and wait until a 2ND shorter set falls into my lap...

Thanks Everyone  Cheers.....

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Bryston SC4 Speaker Cables Length
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2020, 02:03 pm »
The most important part of any speaker cable question is: what loudspeakers?
The loudspeaker impedance curve with respect to frequency is the most important part of the equation.

Barilko

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2020, 02:12 am »
Thanks 

should i have posted the Bryston wires are going into

Totem Forest

Frequency Response:   30 Hz – 20 kHz ± 3 dB (in room).
Recommended Power:   50-200w
Woofer:   6.5″ / 16.51 cm  3″ / 7.62 cm voice coil
Tweeter:   1″ / 2.54 cm aluminum dome, chambered
Impedance:   8 ohms (6.4 minimum)
Sensitivity:   87dB
Dimensions (w x h x d):   7.7″ x 34.3″ x 10.6″ / 19.558 x 87.122 x 26.924 cm
Placement from rear wall:   1′ – 6′ / 30.48 – 182.88 cm
Placement distance apart:   4′ – 12′ / 121.92 – 365.76 cm
Break-in Time:   100-150 hours
Crossover Frequency:   2.5 kHz compensated, 2nd order
Speaker Terminals:   Bi-wireable, Gold WBT connectors
Weight   45.2lb / 20.53kg

diyman

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2020, 06:30 am »
do ya think there is any significant degration of the sound if i was to move backwards from  6 feet SC4  to a set that would be 3 meters long thus closer to 10 feet

I'm guessing some might say yes there is but not that it would really be audible ...

Do yourself a favor and quit believing all the nonsense you read here about speaker cables making that much of a difference.  Particularly since you already are using 12ga cables that have a resistance of only 0.001588 ohms per foot.

The difference of four feet you mentioned represents an increase of 0.006352 ohms, which is of zero significance in the total speaker circuit.  Likewise, the increase in capacitance and inductance of the extra four feet is totally inconsequential.

There will be absolutely no degradation of the sound from the extra four feet of cable, and anyone that tells you there would be does not understand electrical circuits.

Here is a link to some experts who debunk a lot of the snake oil that is propagated by the cable companies:

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-matter

So go ahead and use the cables that you have any way you want, enjoy the music, and don’t spend even a second worrying about it.   If you do, you’ll miss out on the enjoyment.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2020, 10:05 am »
What diyman said.
Use a nice 12 or 10 awg cable and you should be fine, unless you use 3 ft of cable for the left channel, and 600 ft for the right channel.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2020, 04:30 pm »
From Stereophile magazine in 2010:
but the Forest's plot of impedance magnitude and electrical phase angle against frequency (fig.1) revealed it to be a very easy load for the partnering amplifier to drive. Even what is probably the worst-case condition—a combination of 7 ohms magnitude and around 25 degrees capacitive phase angle in the lower midrange—will hardly stress even the most current-challenged tube amplifier.
That means that the Forest speakers are rather insensitive to even unusual speaker cables.

diyman

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2020, 06:38 pm »
It really doesn’t matter what the speaker’s impedance curve looks like, well behaved or not.  Four additional feet of 12ga speaker wire is not going to change the sound from any speaker.

Barilko

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2020, 07:21 pm »
Do yourself a favor and quit believing all the nonsense you read here about speaker cables making that much of a difference.  Particularly since you already are using 12ga cables that have a resistance of only 0.001588 ohms per foot.

The difference of four feet you mentioned represents an increase of 0.006352 ohms, which is of zero significance in the total speaker circuit.  Likewise, the increase in capacitance and inductance of the extra four feet is totally inconsequential.

There will be absolutely no degradation of the sound from the extra four feet of cable, and anyone that tells you there would be does not understand electrical circuits.

Here is a link to some experts who debunk a lot of the snake oil that is propagated by the cable companies:

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-matter

So go ahead and use the cables that you have any way you want, enjoy the music, and don’t spend even a second worrying about it.   If you do, you’ll miss out on the enjoyment.

Thank you very sound advice  its not that i will change cables   i love what i have right now i ask that should i grab the 2nd set be it longer and use it where i use the shorter set now

i find that in my fave 2 channel listening set up the shorter set is very tight and no room for error  ie an accident while cleaning etc etc  where if i get the 2nd set i can place the shorter set in my surround set up in the other room with less risk of an accident

much appreciated ill try to grab the 2nd set before they are gone

Barilko

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2020, 07:21 pm »
Thanks everyone for chiming in