Hi from a music lover in Rome

Soren Kierkegaard

Hi from a music lover in Rome
« on: 2 Jun 2020, 01:11 pm »
Just happened upon AudioCircle after recently developing a passion for for better audio. I like classical music above all - especially renaissance and baroque, Caldara, Buxtehude, Bach, Mozart and Sibelius. Also love lots of 80's alternative, This Mortal Coil, Tim Buckley, American folk, and Latin American folk, especially from Chile, Peru and Argentina, Dire Straits, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and opera, especially, again, Mozart, Rossini, and anything Maria Callas gave voice to.

I've recently begun improving my sound system and learning about solid state and tube amps, DACs and DAC/amps, beginner audiophile headphones and so on and so forth. Fascinated by the sheer visible and sentient physicality of tube amps, although I can't really say too much about them yet.

Phil A

Re: Hi from a music lover in Rome
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:16 pm »
Welcome!  Check out MA Recordings - https://www.marecordings.com/   May have some things that could be of interest to you.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:20 pm »
Welcome!  Doubt that you're the brilliant but short lived Soren Kierkegaard.

Much of audio boils down to personal preference.  But much science has been developed into how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, the consummate audiophile primer to learn about room acoustics.  Virtually all residential rooms have huge bass peaks/dips that we (mistakenly) acclimate to.  In the book you'll learn that the best way to address those peaks/dips is via use of carefully placed multiple subwoofers versus use of full range speakers. 

Have been around audio since the 70's, mostly solid state, gave up on vinyl after literally dropped my turntable in the 80's.  But have always been a "speaker guy".  In the 90's developed an appreciation for single driver transmission line loaded speakers and commissioned a pair ten years later.  Since then have also developed a huge respect for active monitors.  IMO the ideal speakers are controlled directivity active monitors that use 100% analog design. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:22 pm »
Welcome to AC Soren   :thumb: 

Soren Kierkegaard

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2020, 07:25 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Arthur, Phil and JLM! I'll check out the MA recordings and Toole's book. I had a vague idea about room acoustics from concert halls but never really connected it with the effect they have on speaker sound. Newbie thought I guess, since it kind of seems like it should be obvious.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2020, 09:01 am »
Welcome  :thumb: