Bruce from McKinney TX here

bucky63

Bruce from McKinney TX here
« on: 1 Jun 2020, 12:52 am »
New to Audiocircle but have been lurking on the other Audio and Video forums for the last 15 years or so.

I just finished my X-LS Encore build I did for my son’s high school graduation present.  I built Danny’s basic kit (no upgrades) and with one of Peter’s flat-packs.  Using both Danny’s and Peter’s kits made me comfortable to build what I hoped would be a higher quality pair of speakers for the money and provide something a little more special as a grad gift then some speakers bought from a store.

I’m a mechanical engineer by trade and have built some PA speakers for my band 30+ years ago so I have always been interested in DYI speakers.  But I didn’t do much building other than those PA speakers until a couple of years ago when I decide to build an all in one 2.1 speaker box.  I designed the 2.1 using one of Part Express’s bookshelf speaker flat-packs where I divided up the interior into three compartments for the woofer and two all-range speakers to have their correct sealed F3 volumes.  I designed and built cross-overs after deciding to add a tweeter for each channel.  To drive the woofer I used a plate amp with a +6db boost to increase the low end of the sealed box design. 

I’ll post my X-LS project pics in Peter’s GR Research ***X-LS Extravaganza*** thread.

Phil A

Re: Bruce from McKinney TX here
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2020, 02:06 am »
Welcome!

jmolsberg

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2020, 02:09 am »
Howdy from Fort Worth. Is that your son hanging with the DALLAS STARS? Nice speaker!

bucky63

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2020, 02:25 am »
Yes, it is.  I saw the picture was in the background and wondered if anyone would comment.  It took about an hour!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2020, 11:12 pm »
Welcome to AC bucky   :thumb: