Roxul OK?

mcgsxr

Roxul OK?
« on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:56 pm »
I have searched, and found references to Roxul being OK for building some corner bass traps (ie just flat panels that stand across the corner) but this seems odd, as the Roxul I got today is not rigid.

Did I err, or can I still use these in a wooden frame?

They are 2 feet by 4 feet, by 4 inches thick, 5 in the bundle, and I would guess they must weigh between 10 and 15 pounds each - the bundle of all 5 was a bear to haul to my basement...

Opinions?

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Roxul OK?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2005, 04:37 pm »
Mark,

> They are 2 feet by 4 feet, by 4 inches thick, 5 in the bundle, and I would guess they must weigh between 10 and 15 pounds each <

Rigid fiberglass is usually either 3 pounds per cubic foot (pcf) or 6, and it seems what you have is closer to 1 pcf. So you apparently got the fluffy stuff instead of the rigid type.

--Ethan

mcgsxr

Roxul OK?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2005, 04:38 pm »
Yeah, the whole bundle probably weighs around 40-50lbs, but it does appear to be somewhat fluffy.

useless?

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
Roxul OK?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2005, 05:02 pm »
Mark,

> useless? <

No, but it's not as useful as the rigid type. Your options are either return them and get the right stuff, or squeeze the panels to about 1/3 or 1/4 their original thickness and devise a way to keep them compressed.

--Ethan

mcgsxr

Roxul OK?
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2005, 09:31 pm »
Sounds like returning them is the better idea.

Now, am I seeking the kind with a facing (FSK or whatever) or without?

I would prefer not to KEEP returning there...

Thanks for your time Ethan, I appreciate it

davejcb

Roxul OK?
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2005, 06:27 am »
Hi Mark,

Roxul is what I got for bass traps, 6lbs/ft3, FSK facing, worth great.  This is the kind.

DJ

Roxul OK?
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2005, 02:49 pm »
Quote from: davejcb
Hi Mark,

Roxul is what I got for bass traps, 6lbs/ft3, FSK facing, worth great.  This is the kind.

Are you sure that is 6lbs/ft3?  RXL 80 is 8lbs/ft3.

What was it like to work with?  Is it a little on the floppy side, or is it fairly rigid like fiberglass?

davejcb

Roxul OK?
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2005, 03:27 pm »
Sorry, my bad, it's actually the RXL60. It's fine, rockwool and rigid fiberglass are basically the same thing.

Here's a picture of one trap, not exactly the most asthetically pleasing, but that's not what I set out for...

mcgsxr

Roxul OK?
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2005, 03:40 pm »
How thick are yours?

Did you notice a large improvement, after the install?

Thanks, I have called and found a source for some 1 inch thick RXL80, and can triple or quad up the pieces, to build 2 panels for my room.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
Roxul OK?
« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2005, 04:17 pm »
Mark,

> am I seeking the kind with a facing (FSK or whatever) or without? <

For bass trapping get 6 or 8 pcf rigid fiberglass, 3 or 4 inches thick, with the facing. The paper facing should go toward the room. If you can't get thick panels and have to stack several 1-inch panels together, peel off all of the facings except the one toward the room. Having that paper inside the sandwich is not good.

--Ethan

mcgsxr

Roxul OK?
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2005, 04:28 pm »
Thanks Ethan - the only source near me has 1 inch in stock, and would have a min order of 100 boxes for anything thicker than 1 inch...

I will follow your idea of peel and stick!

Thanks,

davejcb

Roxul OK?
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2005, 10:16 pm »
Quote from: mcgsxr
How thick are yours?

Did you notice a large improvement, after the install?

Thanks, I have called and found a source for some 1 inch thick RXL80, and can triple or quad up the pieces, to build 2 panels for my room.

2 x 2" FSK, so 4"... I posted some measurements here, but as to how it sounds I didn't have a chance to A/B it by ear, although the measurements say I'm heading in the right direction. Keep in mind this is only two front traps, will be building two more.

One more thing - this is with the FSK facing on both panels, inside and outside. I may get around to fixing this later, but it still made a sizeable improvement.