Fetvalve vs Monarchy

PTC

Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:26 pm »
Hi any one ever compare the Fetvalve amps to Monarchy monos particularly the se-160.One reviewer called the SE-160 the Imaging and Soundstaging champs,does anyone have any insight as to the Fetvalves in this regard.Thanks for any help,Paul

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2005, 08:53 pm »
I'd lean towards the Monarchy amp only because I've owned them really like their build quality.  They look to be sturdier and more robust than the AVA amps plus they are monoblocks which I like.

But since I haven't heard the AVA amps I can't comment between the two.

If you are looking into hybrid tube/SS amps you should strongly consider the Butler Audio hybrid amps.  They're unlike anything else and he has a patent on the design as it's very unique.

Here is a review from six moons of the http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/butler/2250.htm">Butler Audio 2250

PTC

Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2005, 10:47 pm »
I am not a fan of other than AVA gear I own a T5slr pre I am just trying to cover all my options.Iam looking for the best amp for the money,Paul

avahifi

Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:00 pm »
I am curious how Heavystarch can suggest that some other brand of amplifier appears to be sturdier and more robust than AVA amps with no hands on experience.

For the record, we have had zero field failures of an output circuit in our own AVA chassis Fet Valve amplifiers, and none have suddenly had the case collapse or warp either.

He might be confusing thicker faceplate with build quality, but I am a bit annoyed to hear any suggestions that our mechanical and electrical designs are not robust and sturdy.

Frank Van Alstine

jackman

Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:19 pm »
I'll vouch for Frank's build quality and design quality.  You are not paying for a fancy box or CNC's artwork.  Those amps have tons of power and run forever.  

Never heard a Monarchy, so I can't comment on their design or performance.  I've looked at their website and they look pretty cool.  You mention the Fetvalve and I don't think you could go wrong with one but I would not overlook the Omegastar either.  They are very good sounding amps from top to bottom and very powerful.  

Also, unrelated to sound, AVA does the little things most people take for granted.  When I had my T7 upgraded, they replaced all of the screws with new ones and cleaned all of the switches.  They also provided a new box and new packing materials.  It's also cool to speak with the president, designer and the guy who supervises manufacturing when you call in!  He knows every one of his products inside out.  Literally.  

Frank's no BS, somewhat abrasive, not always politically correct, tone may rub some people the wrong way.  But I find his honesty and outspoken nature to be as refreshing as his unique products.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:48 pm »
I dido everything "Jackman" said. He took the words right out of my mouth. What more can I say! because I am a AVA owner. If you like the preamp, you will love Frank's amps.  Maybe not Frank! but thats another story. Just kidding. Frank's a great honest guy and he has been around, it seem's like forever. You don't stay around these day's if you are not doing something right!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2005, 12:14 am »
Quote from: heavystarch
I'd lean towards the Monarchy amp only because I've owned them really like their build quality.  They look to be sturdier and more robust than the AVA amps plus they are monoblocks which I like.

But since I haven't heard the AVA amps I can't comment between the two.

If you are looking into hybrid tube/SS amps you should strongly consider the Butler Audio hybrid amps.  They're unlike anything else and he has a patent on the design as it's very unique.

Here is a review from six moons of the http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/butler/2250.htm">Butler Audio 2250

heavystarch - I've heard the Butler amps and they are impressive, but I didn't feel the need to buy one to replace my 550EXR.  And having a patent isn't really a selling point either, especially if you read the AVA website and see that the Fet-Valves have sixteen (16!) patent claims (I assume some are still pending):

The Fet Valve amplifiers are our highest expression of hybrid design, blending the best of vacuum tube and solid state technologies. All of the basic design concepts are uniquely ours - sixteen patent claims have been allowed. We designed and built these lush, wonderfully transparent, and outrageously dynamic amplifiers to satisfy those who have never been satisfied with solid state alone. The sound stage is life size and the performers are real.

jackman

Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2005, 12:35 am »
I just wanted to say that I was not picking on Heavystarch.  He's a good guy and was just giving an opinion.  I hope to have an opportunity to hear Monarchy in person.  

Thanks,

J

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2005, 03:20 am »
I may have stuck my foot in my mouth; I didn't even notice that this is the Van Alstine Circle.  :oops:  Someone mind helping me pry it out?  

I just saw the post and thought I would comment on the Monarchy amp since I've got experience with them.  

Tyson
It's true patents don't necessarily translate into good sound; the proof is always in the pudding.   I just think the BK Butler design is clever...doesn't mean the pudding tastes good or that you will like it.  Some folks like tapioca pudding, some like chocolate.   Hell, some folks don't like pudding at all...

Frank
The AVA amp looks great Frank and I'm sure the performance is there to  back it up.  Not that you need me telling you that.  I also don't confuse/equate fancy face plates with better sound....but do I confuse fancy sound with better face plates? :wink:  

I was just commenting based on pictures on your site that the chassis looks to be less sturdy than the thick aluminum chassis of Monarchy amps.  When you pick up a Monarchy amp it feels very solid; I understand that this has nothing to do with sound quality nor quality of circuit topology or board quality or internal build quality etc.   But since I've never picked up an AVA amp nor heard one first hand my comments need to be taken with a few large grains of salt.

Besides, you have a forum here and Monarchy doesn't.  Which is a great benefit to your customers.  

Jackman
Pick on me all you want.  But I'll find you one of these days in a lonely dark alley...and then tell you we should get the hell outtta there before we get jumped!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2005, 04:10 am »
heavystarch,
All you say is true.  I found out a while ago that the only true way to find out if you really like something is to try it out in your home with your own gear.  Based on what I heard of the Butler, it would probably do quite well in my system.  But I already know that I absolutely love the sound of my 550exr, so it's a moot point for me right now....

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
Fetvalve vs Monarchy
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2005, 06:09 pm »
Tyson,

Plus you saved a $1100 by getting the AVA amp instead of the butler (based on MSRP's).

$1100 saved is like $2200 earned!

certainly a wise choice.