The current trend of "Special Edition" releases. .

Hantra

« on: 23 Feb 2005, 01:41 pm »
I'm walking through Best Buy yesterday afternoon looking for The Hellboys disc.  I knew they wouldn't have it, but I got off work early and wanted to peruse the aisles anyway.  

I didn't see really anything that caught my eye. . . Except for a couple discs that were in close proximity to each other.  One was this "Special Edition" re-release of 461 Ocean Boulevard.  Now I have a huge weak spot for all things Eric Clapton, and 461 Ocean Boulevard has some great tracks, and some superb photos of EC you'll never see anywhere else.  Having coughed up my 461 LP to Carl last time he was here, I thought "what a perfect way to get the content of the album with photos and all, and not have to DEAL with vinyl!". . . So I picked it up.  

This disc has some bonus tracks, as well as an entire bonus disc which has a live set from the 461 era that is superbly recorded!  So how could I afford NOT to pick it up?  I mean. . . It WAS $24.99, but I'll never find that live set anywhere else, ever.

Then I saw a new disc in the same series of "Special Edition" releases from The Cure and it was the old school disc "Three Imaginary Boys" remastered.  Now I am not convinced that this disc could even sound much better remastered.  The recording is bad to begin with, and was a 1979 recording with freaky effects and lots of compression.  But then I noticed the bonus disc which has tons of demo and unreleased stuff that I'll never be able to get anywhere else.  

So what do you guys think of this trend?  

I mean in a way it's kewl b/c you can get stuff you'd not otherwise be able to get.  In a way it's bad b/c you're paying ANOTHER $25 for a disc you already own, and probably have at least one or two copies in some format already.  

Anyhow, the bonus disc on the EC is worth the price of admission for me, but I sense this is just the start of a trend in the biz.  It's not like they have ANYTHING really to offer us that's new, and decent.  

B

R_burke

« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2005, 03:16 pm »
I have a couple of these "special edition"  releases, but I've seen some that I wouldn't buy even though I love the original release.  Some of them simply have cuts of songs that didn't make the original release, I'm not particularly interested in hearing the same song done several times with slight variations, but for a hardcore fan this might be fun.

Who Live at Leeds is a good one, it has a live version of Tommy as the added "special"

ohenry

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2005, 03:33 pm »
I think special re-releases can be good.  Especially if they provide eye candy AND better sound.  I scarfed up all of the David Bowie/Ryko clear vinyl releases in the early '90's for those reasons.

With the music software-buying population demographics probably trending toward the older crowd due to the advent of the digital download, re-issues make marketing sense for the record companies.  Being relatively old  :|, I find it fun to revisit the classic rock from my youth and get the nice packaging and information.  Also, I expect better sound, but that's a gamble.  And sometimes you know going in that the sound is going to be bad, so why bother (you can't make chicken salad from chicken s**t).  That's why I like small record shops with knowledgeable personnel, sometimes they can provide insight to the sonics.

And, I can certainly relate to your statement that "I didnt' see really anything that caught my eye" when looking through the curent mass-marketed music.  Seeing the old stuff all dressed up does make me feel less alienated while sifting through the rows filled with albums performed by lip synchers and/or guys reciting nursery rhymes with attitude. :)

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2005, 03:47 pm »
Quote from: ohenry
Also, I expect better sound, but that's a gamble.

You're right about that.  A great example is the Dire Straits Bros In Arms "remaster".  That one sucks.  I much prefer my scratched up 15 year old copy to the remaster.  I think all they did was run it through some noise reduction, which also killed much of what is special about that recording. .  

Did I mention I bought the LAST 461 disc?  I mean people must be buying these things.  Again I point to the other new stuff that's available.  

By the way, I highly recommend a listen to the Hellboys disc on their site.  I ordered it today from their site b/c I haven't been able to find it.  It's the best new stuff I've heard in a while. .

http://www.hellboys.com/

B

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2005, 07:17 am »
Link for a Tower sale on the "Special (Deluxe) Edition" sets.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2005, 01:05 pm »
I bought the Legacy edition of Jeff Buckley's "Grace" which came out 10 years after the initial CD release and includes a re-mastered disc, an extra rarities audio disc and a DVD of videos and "The Making of Grace."
I really enjoy the DVD, but several of the rarities tracks aren't essential and I already had the original disc.
It was maybe $25, so I'm not sure it's a no-brainer if you already have a copy.

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2005, 01:25 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
By the way, I highly recommend a listen to the Hellboys disc o ...

Thanks for the info, I liked what I heard and have one coming.