GR-Research X-Statik vs XL-S Encore

gelderland

• A Human-Being-Human
GR-Research X-Statik vs XL-S Encore
« on: 26 May 2020, 05:34 pm »
Hello! I'm Michael. Disabled Audiophile, Retired.
Looking in to either the XL-S Encore or the X-Statik kits from GR-Research.
I like the open baffle idea and have the space for them.
I'm currious about blending them with dual subs which I already have.
What are thier realisitic crossover points with the use of the subs? 60Hz, 50Hz...?
Has anyone sourced the cabinet biulds for these? If so, Where? Due to my disability, wood working is out of the question.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.
Michael

jcsperson

Re: GR-Research X-Statik vs XL-S Encore
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2020, 09:14 pm »
There are flat packs available for some kits. Could you manage those?

Welcome, BTW.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2020, 10:32 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:
I will move your topic to the GR Reseach Circle.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2020, 10:56 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2020, 02:13 am »
Welcome, Michael!

If you like the idea of OB, have the space, and already have the dual subs to fill out the lower end, if budget allows the X-Statik is A LOT of speaker for the money, and as many have said here arguably his best bang-for-the-buck designs out there right now.  The X-Statik is listed as having a lower cutoff of 60Hz, which is going to be gradual in-room as that cutoff is coming from a sealed box low end.  The X-LS Encores, on the other hand, play down to the mid-50Hz range solidly but drop off fast from there, in this case because the woofer is in a ported box. 

I've had the X-CS before (sealed MTM design using a pair of the M165 woofers) and still have a pair of X-LS, and with a pair of sealed subs I found that I actually liked crossing over the sealed speaker at 80Hz (rather than 60Hz) because for my tastes at the time I got a little more meat on the bone in the lower midrange with my subs doing some of that work (sounded a little lean to me crossed over at 60Hz, but keep in mind that was in a medium-biggish room that was very well treated for bass and I was using a pair of sealed GR-driver servo subs, so I was confident in keeping the sound quality up in that range in spite of using subs).

With the X-LS, I always seemed to struggle to get them to blend such that I was happier with them with subs than without.  This was with the same sealed subs, and probably the best integration I got was either at 60Hz or 40Hz crossover depending on how I fiddled with the other settings on the sub plate amps, but if memory serves right I either felt like the subs muddied the sound of the speakers if crossed higher (80Hz-60Hz) or overpowered them (60Hz-40Hz).  Not saying it can't be done (and I would venture again the best crossover point would end up lower than a sealed bottom end speaker like the X-Statik), but in that room at that time I just couldn't sort it for myself.  For what it is worth, I ended up settling on just a pair of X-LS by themselves for a time in that room and was content, but contentment and bass for audiophiles is a very subjective thing, so YMMV.

In your case, based on your initial thoughts, I'd probably go X-Statik and not look back.  With your subs you'll have a great foundation for a system that can grow with you in a lot of different directions without the speakers becoming the weak link.

Hope that helps!

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2020, 02:46 am »
Hello! I'm Michael. Disabled Audiophile, Retired.
Looking in to either the XL-S Encore or the X-Statik kits from GR-Research.
I like the open baffle idea and have the space for them.

Then go for the X-Statik.

I'm currious about blending them with dual subs which I already have.
What are thier realisitic crossover points with the use of the subs? 60Hz, 50Hz...?

Both are easy to cross to subs. The typical range for the X-LS Encore is around 50 to 55Hz, and 40 to 50Hz for the X-Statik. It can really depend more on your room than anything.

Has anyone sourced the cabinet biulds for these?

No one is cutting a flat pack for the X-Statik yet, but Peter has a flat pack for the X-LS Encore.

If so, Where? Due to my disability, wood working is out of the question.

I bet we can find someone to help you out.

BigGTgreek

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2020, 11:58 am »
Danny,

Do you recommend using norez inside the X-statik enclosure? Or does the bracing eliminate the need for the norez?  Do you need any material in the enclosure? 

PS - This is my second post, can't search the forum, sorry if you have answered this before.

AlexH

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2020, 11:00 pm »
Maybe I can answer this for you. Yes I would recommend no-rez inside the cabinet. I used one sheet per speaker. One sheet will be just a little shy but not much. I also used some poly fill behind each woofer. You can play with the amount of poly fill and to produce the effect you want.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2020, 12:35 am »
Danny,

Do you recommend using norez inside the X-statik enclosure? Or does the bracing eliminate the need for the norez?  Do you need any material in the enclosure? 

PS - This is my second post, can't search the forum, sorry if you have answered this before.

I recommend using the No Rez.

Bracing makes them stiff, but the No Rez really damps out any vibration and resonance.

naboo

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2020, 07:47 pm »
Regarding those X-Statiks, I've read that they need to be 3 feet from the back wall. Is the 3ft at the front of the open baffle? or 3ft between the wall and the back of the box?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2020, 04:13 am »
The 3 feet is from the back of the front baffle to the wall.
That said, 3-feet is only the minimum. The further you can get the speakers into the room, the better they'll perform. (Assuming your room can manage anything further) Plus, you can always push them back against the wall when you're not using them.